Monday, August 04, 2014

Empty Bowls

Toby had to work on Saturday. Rather than wait around on him, I went to WF with Jesse to throw pots for the Empy Bowls of Wichita Falls.  It was great fun. When we arrived a little before noon, all the wheels were taken up.
Lots of people turned out to make bowls. The wheels were set up in a large U shape. This photo only shows half of the wheels. So there were probably over ten wheels. Someone gave up their wheel for Jesse when we arrived. Not too long after that, people started leaving for lunch, and I was able to grab a wheel. For the next four hours or so, we cranked out some bowls. I had a great time.  Jesse was probably worried that I talked too much and distracted others (Oh my gosh! What did my mom say now?!) Maybe I did, but part of the fun is the visiting. It is not like we were creating masterpieces. People came and went to help make the bowls. Some were there to help gather bowls or pass out more clay and just aid the potters any way the could. Others threw pots. There were fewer of us in the afternoon. Some were just beginners, and it was a learning process.  It was a good way to get lots of practice. I don't know how many bowls we actually made, but I would bet it was close to 200. 
They will have another bowl-a-thon in September. Apparently the goal is to make 500 pots.

9 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Quite a job and fulfilling day! It is a fun way to help people. As I say, we always go eat soup and buy bowls!

Bag Blog said...

It did feel good to throw pots for a good cause. I want to buy back a bowl or two.

Stefan said...

Do you get to go back and apply the stains? I think that would be the fun part.

bag blog said...

After the drying and firing maybe I can go over and glaze.

Stefan said...

I like the second bowl in front. It's nice and tall, and would hold a good cabbage and ham meal :-) Mmmph... Mmmph... Maybe a Lager to wash it all down...

Bag Blog said...

That looks like one of Jesse's bowls or the type she does. She did a good variety. Most of my bowls looked like the third bowl back - V shaped.

Stefan said...

That's a nice one too. I might need a bib though, as I tip it to get the last few spoonfuls :-) I can see me putting my rice in that one and using the chop-sticks.

Moogie P said...

That is soooo cool!!

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Moogie, it was fun.