Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Duty Head

Last Thursday, I picked up my mom and took her to Amarillo to see my nephew, her grandson, play football.  Although I mentioned that he played for the JV Amarillo Sandies, I got his position wrong. He plays corner (?). You know, that guy out there on the far side of the field following the receiver. It was great fun to see him play.  He did not make any great plays, but he did play and that is more than my brother ever got to do. Dad would have loved it. The day was perfect football weather - clear and cool. They won their game, but it was close, which was exciting. My sister and I sat together and laughed throughout the game - 'cause we are silly like that. She told me a story about her third grade class. A little girl had written "doodie head" on another girl's paper. Kathy said she had a difficult time keeping a straight face when dealing with the problem. Doodie head became the word for the evening. Nephew with grandmas.
 After the game we went and ate Mexican food down on the old Route 66. What better way to end a great day than to eat and drink with friends! Mom and I only had a few spats - mostly over driving directions. At one point she said, "You are just like your father!" Yep, I am sometimes.
 
We stopped in Chillecothe to see my great-Aunt Mildred. She and Mom have always been big buddies although she is Mom's aunt, but only nine years older. That makes Aunt Mildred 92 and still living on her own. I sent this picture to my cousin. My cousin reported back that they had celebrated her dad's (my great uncle; Aunt Mildred's big brother) 94th birthday.  My cousin said it was a good day - her dad won $7.00 at bingo in the veteran's retirement center. Those Matney's always like to win!

I got home from Amarillo on Friday evening in time to make four gallons of chili for the GOP chili cook-off.  On Saturday, we set up our booth. My friends wanted to use my "Southwest" stuff to decorate the booth. Personally, I don't consider my decor to be Southwest. I consider it South - like across the border decor. Anyway, the chili cook-off was Saturday night and was fun, but tiring. We won second place in the People's Choice category.  I only had to break a few arms to get the award. My friend Laura who was a major worker in the campaign. Do I look tired in this pic?

Monday morning I was up and driving to Lawton to stand on the street corner with a sign for my candidate.  Tuesday I did the sign thing again in Duncan in the rain and cold. Being with fun friends made it all good. Then last night we went to the watch and wait party. I felt like I had done my duty. Yep, I'm a duty head.

My candidate lost. Actually he won Stephens and Jefferson Counties where he would preside as judge. Unfortunately the law right now allows Comanche Co to vote on our judge since he could be required to take cases there sometimes. The other candidate was from Comanche County and that county is more populated than ours. It is a stupid law and one that will probably be changed in the next four years. Then we will do this again. When doodie calls...

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

I bet you are one tired doodie head. Whew! You do look a bit tired in the photo.

Nice that you went to the football game and your mom got to visit with her aunt. Good looking nephew!

Sorry your judge didn't win. Looks like all our candidates won. Whew! Most of my artist friends are down in the dumps. LOL They think it means less free stuff for artists and I guess that may be true. Sigh...

By the way I was checking my blog reader to see who had posted and you hadn't, I read Richard McKinley's blog and looked up and you had posted. Hmmm.

Bag Blog said...

I usually post early in the mornings, but I was later this morning taking my time and being lazy. It is the first day in a while that I have not had to be somewhere.

I'm sorry my judge did not win. With a judge election, you cannot talk about Republican or Democrat leanings. Judges are to be impartial. We could only say that our guy was conservative. The good news is my judge is 38 years old. He has lots of time to try again.

Tell your artist friends that there is no such thing as a free lunch :)

Okie from OK said...

I never liked judges, I once had to go to court to fight 4 tickets. I pleaded not guilty, and he said "these are four tickets from four different policemen" I said all you have to know is my car is candy apple red, and looks mean, but it's a pussy cat that passes all safety and pollution inspections. I've been pulled over 15 times, and only 4 policemen were mean to me. He said, he would let me off if I paid court costs. I said OK, he then said that would be $400! My dad said, pay it, even though I wanted to go up there and compress his doodie head... I had to sell the car to pay the $400 loan from my dad. I've been driving Buicks ever since...

Bag Blog said...

That sounds like my husband's story. Before we were married, he told me had had ten wreck/accidents in his car, but only nine of them had been his fault. H drove a Dodge Charger back in the day.