Monday, March 09, 2015

Birthdays

Today is my birthday. Last week was my longtime friend, Kathy Hall's, birthday. Another longtime friend, Terry T. posted this photo on FB on Kathy's birthday. It is a photo taken of me and my brother in the back and Kathy and Terry in the front. We are at Terry's grandparent's cabin in Red River. That cabin was awesome and holds lots of childhood memories. It was a typical RR cabin with lots of pine, a fireplace at one end of the living room, great porch and the bathroom was an afterthought. It had three bedrooms upstairs, but the walls did not go to the ceiling. We were able to climb over them. It made for fun sleepovers when we were little. It also had a long balcony/hall that ran the length of the cabin to get to the bedrooms. I loved that you could stand there and talk to people downstairs in the living area. It was an open feeling that I still love and want in a home. That cabin seemed huge, but it was really not very big. Such is the way when we were young. The cabin was a base of sorts for lots of adventures. You can read about those adventures on The Island here.

I have blogged about my friend Kathy a few times. Telling the story of how a guy friend called her foxy, but said that I was only cute. This photos proves that I was cute at one time too. But, dang it, as cute as I was, Kathy was cuter. If you are wondering what is going on with my hair in the photo, I'm sure my mom slicked it back in a ponytail and only the wispy, fuzzy blond hair is showing. I love my brother's shirt in this photo - so 60's!  In case you don't follow the link and read the story, here is a photo of Kathy and me together a few years ago. Happy Birthday to Kathy and to me.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Woohoo! Happy Birthday! I bought you a present on Friday and didn't even know it was for a special occasion! Don't know when I will get it in the mail, though. Hope your day is super, you cute thang you! Hugs.

Okie Dokie said...

Happy Birthday, and I hope you get a lot of ice cream and cake!

You two look like sisters in the first one. I had to giggle at the word "foxy" and the only thing I could think of, was "1970 is calling, and they want their word back!" hee.

I was dating a girl in the late 70's, and she said if you call me "babe," "chick," or "foxy" I will hurt you. So I devised to just calling her my "old lady" which for some reason she liked, as I was her "old man." I don't think they mean the same today...

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
I told Gene that I made carne adovada the other day. Then we were going to have it for breakfast along with eggs and potatoes. Since it was just the two of us, I got out one small potato. I handed it to Toby and asked, "Do you need to get the drill?" You and Gene keep us in laughs. What good times!

Bag Blog said...

As long as you don't call me toots, we are okay.

Okie Dokie said...

I'm very careful around women who have a tractor in their profile photo...

Jo Castillo said...

Good one, OD...

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, too funny. We went to lunch with Larry and he asked if there was an easy way to peel apples like peaches or tomatoes and Gene started, "Well, you get a drill.........." Funny it came up today!