Saturday, May 02, 2015

Kaye Franklin Workshop

Yesterday's art workshop with Kaye Franklin went well and was lots of fun. My friend Glenna went with me. She normally does watercolor and is great at zentangle, but now and then she dabbles in oil. There were only six of us in the class - most of the ladies were regular students of Kaye's.  The lesson was done in oils, and all the other students were doing oil. Since Kaye often does pastels and that is what I like, I did pastels. Here is Kaye's demo painting, which she did in the morning.  Then we all spent the afternoon trying and learning to do the same painting.  Here is my attempt.
Because I was using pastels and I am the Fastest Painter in the West, I did a second painting. This was done from a photo of redbud trees near my house.  Toby did not like my pine trees - said the painting "did not look like me."  He liked my Okie painting better. Both could use a bit more work. Jo, any comments would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Etienne said...

To tell the truth, I like your sharper lines. The example seems blurry, but I assume it was done for more than just how it looked in the end.

You could tell your husband, that the pines were just infested with Gypsy Moths, and suffered a short Spring...

The one on the bottom just needs a couple of people on horseback added, making their way to the river :-)

Bag Blog said...

I think you are right on the blurry. It also needs more definite background trees (fore, middle, and back). The instructor said my trees were good - leave them alone. I didn't want to insult her by continuing to mess with them. But I probably will work on the painting more.

Jo Castillo said...

I just realized I didn't comment here. I like your trees, good distance in the painting. I really like the redbud trees. Much more in your style. Classes are meant to learn by copying in some ways and not to really do a finished painting. You did well. :)

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Jo. Since I your commented in your email. you didn't really need to comment here too. But it is nice that you did.

You are right about the copying/learning in a workshop.