Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Better Today

Thanks for letting me rant a bit yesterday. I am much better today. I'm off my high-horse and back on solid ground. Whatever happens with this teaching thing will happen or not. Maybe I was over-thinking yesterday. Maybe I got to see a glimpse of reality or a reminder of what really goes on in public schools.

My father, who was the most wonderful, best teacher of all time, gave me good advice. Several times when I was struggling with the politics of public schools, Dad would say, "Figure out what they (the schools) want, give it to them, take your paycheck, and go home. If they want you to teach the kids, then teach them. If they want you to pass the kids, then pass them. Take your paycheck and go home.

Now my dad never took this advice. He was a rebel of sorts. He taught kids and he loved them. He did what he thought was best for those kids no matter what the school district said. Of course that meant discipline. As a principal he ran a tight ship. His teachers and students loved him. And when the schools no longer let him do his thang, he quit.  That is what I want - good discipline, good fun, good teaching, etc or I won't do it.



2 comments:

Moogie P said...

Sticktoyour scruples, Lou. You'll do what is best for the kids, no matter what!

Bag Blog said...

I will. Sometimes I just need to put it all out there and sort through it.