Sunday, August 02, 2015

Final Answer

On Thursday at 4PM, the Super called me. He said I should start the process of getting an OK teaching certificate. He gave me a number to call to find out what would be needed and how to go about getting my certificate. He thought it would be the best for me to do this instead of him working to get an emergency certificate,  since I would need to fill out applications and there was a fee involved. So, I called the State and spoke to a very helpful person. She directed me to their website where the whole process is explained and forms are available. And she went over the process with me. I would need my college transcripts, copy of out-of-state teaching certificate, copy of any teacher tests I may have taken, proof of teaching experience, application to the state along with a $50 non-refundable processing fee, and fingerprinting and background check costing $59. All of this would take over six weeks to process. In the meantime, I could teach as a long-term sub. It was at this point that I thought, "Oh hail no." Bureaucracy is not my strong point and teaching for sub wages is out of the question. I also found out that to get an emergency certificate, the Super would have to write a letter to the state school board explaining why they needed me and show proof that they had put the job notice out there and that no one else was available. And he had to do all of that by Tuesday.  Hmmm.

As for the bureaucracy: Getting the proof of teaching experience is difficult since I have taught in three districts in TX and OK, and all of my public school experience was over 25 years ago. Still, I could fill out the forms and send them to the districts and see what happens. I can certainly get my old transcripts, although it seems redundant - if I have a teaching certificate and teaching experience, obviously I graduated from college. Why do they need transcripts?Will anyone really be interested to know what my grades were 35 years ago? Spending $59 dollars on fingerprinting and background check is also redundant. I have a conceal/carry license so I have already done fingerprinting and background check - why can't they just tap into that info in this day of computers and such? When the helpful person told me to send any teacher tests, I laughed and told her that I became a teacher back in the day when all you had to do was go to college and graduate. And really - why is that not enough? Are colleges producing teachers who pass college, but not teacher tests? Hmmm?

As for the sub pay:  Ten years ago, I did some substitute teaching for this same school district. After showing my TX teaching certificate, they paid me $40 a day to sub/teach all day and be responsible for high school students. At the same time I was subbing there, Jesse did some subbing for her vocational class in Duncan. She was 19 years old. All she had to do was unlock the door and lock it at the end of the day and they paid her $50 a day. Maybe in the past ten years the money has gone up, but I doubt it would be worth my time and effort to make the drive and teach.

It all seemed a huge hassle and certainly not for sub pay.  I had no peace. On Friday morning I called the Principal and very nicely told him that, and that maybe he should hire one of the other persons whom he told me he had also considered. After all, it was "just art."  But he went to work on me, promising that the certificate process was not a big deal and that they really wanted me. Then he called the Super who called me and said me all was good and that I would get paid a regular salary - not sub's pay.

When all was said and done, I really want to have a purpose and goals, and a challenge. I really like kids and art. So, I said, "Okay, I'll do it." Final answer.

Update on Moms:  Earlier this week Toby's mom fell and broke her hip - a really bad break. The hospital in Wichita Falls loaded her into an ambulance and sent her to Plano, because WF does not do broken hips. In Plano, the doctor said that the surgery was really difficult and she might not survive it. With or without surgery the recovery time was the same, so she should not have surgery. She should just go home and stay off her hip for 12 weeks. They kept her in Plano for three days so that she would qualify for special care when she returned home. She is home, in special care, but things are difficult. I can't believe they had put her in an ambulance and shipped her off to Plano, just to have them turn around and ship her home! Now get this! Plano wants to see her in three weeks and again in six weeks, which means putting her in an ambulance again! And you know they will do an x-ray and say, "It is healing" or "Not." In this day of technology, is all that really necessary?

8 comments:

wandererer said...

If I was teaching Art today, I'd be teaching the kids how to weld, use foam, and fiberglass, and the whole gamut of epoxies.

Maybe even do a bit of foundry with aluminum and bronze, etc.

I get a kick out of this family on youtube:

Ballerina

I'm sure OSHA would faint though...

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, my gosh! On both fronts. I can see maybe they need a copy of your Teaching Certificate, most of that stuff is redundant. Hope you get it all straightened out.

Poor Toby's mom. My had a broken hip way back in the fifties and she would not do any rehab or maybe they didn't even do that then, so she lived the last years of her life in a wheel chair.

We are thinking of you with great positive thoughts. Hope to see you very soon!

Moogie P said...

I detest getting in the midst of bureaucracies. I almost signed up to sub in New Orleans, but thought better of it after awhile. Public Schools there aren't a place you'd want to hang out in on a regular basis, although I volunteered in an elementary school before Katrina. Hope the process eases for you -- the background check is ridiculously redundant.

Your poor MiL!! So sorry. HOpe she heals well and quickly, ambulance trips or not.

Bag Blog said...

Wanderer, I got a kick out of the ballerina. My daughter would do something like that.

Jo, I just did all the paper work, sent it off, and hoped for the best. Whatever happens with this silly OK certificate will happen. As for Toby's mom, it's a tough situation, but she is a trooper.

Moogie, This public school is very small. It should be okay. I'm just so set in my ways :)

wandererer said...

I made the observation as I've gotten older, that older people seem to wobble as they walk. So I always say to myself "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."

Ah, but they do! Fall down that is. Damned Weebles.

My dad started falling down a lot about 1960, but it was all alcohol related. Your MIL isn't a tipper is she? :-)

Bag Blog said...

My MIL does not drink often now that she is in an assisted living. Now my mom is another story.

CenTexTim said...

Good luck with the job. It will all be for the best, no matter how it turns out.

re: your MIL - my father is in an assisted living facility. When he needed x-rays they brought a portable unit into his room. Don't know why they can't do that in WF...

Bag Blog said...

CTT, it turns out that my MIL found a doctor who comes to the hospital where she is - not to her room, but to the hospital.