Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Probate Done

Yesterday I managed to get my mom's will probated. Fortunately, Texas makes things easy for people like me  - simple minded :) 

Last week I sent my siblings a text concerning the court date, but I did not hear back from any of them. That was okay. I didn't need them. I was just keeping everyone informed. Then yesterday morning while I was scurrying around getting ready to go to WF, my little brother called. I still had time to talk to him, fill him in and give him my two cents concerning the family settlement thing that my other brother thinks is necessary to have drawn up. Then the other brother called. I didn't mind hearing his two cents, too, but I was out of time and needing to go. At my age, it takes a while to get going, to get dressed, to get my mind in gear, and to get out the door with everything needed for the day. I appreciate my brothers' input, but it was too late. It was my way now.

I picked up my friend, Robin Egg, to go with me and make a day of it in the Falls. Our first stop was the Empty Bowls event at the MSU museum. This is an event to raise money for the WF food bank. A ticket to the Empty Bowls gets you a handmade ceramic bowl and lunch served up by many of the local restaurants. Because Jesse and I had thrown bowls (about 500 bowls were made for the event) last month in preparation for EB, we got two free tickets - which were $40 each at the door. Anyway, Robin and I picked our bowls and then had lunch at the various booths/restaurants. The place was packed.  Here we are enjoying soups with our bowls.
Since we had some time to kill before court, we went by Michael"s for a bit of shopping. Then I took Robin Egg on a tour of the Great Falls area showing her Jesse's house, schools I attended, neighborhoods I lived in, etc. I'm sure it was all rather boring, but I held her hostage.

The court/probate thang was interesting. My lawyer had another case before the judge. We got to listen in on the case of a family trying to settle the estate of a brother who died and left no will. Then my case was up. It was simple. The judge said it was amazing that I had the will and everything was in order and how easy it made things. And it was easy. And now it is done.

Robin and I headed over to Frank and Joes for some coffee. Jesse joined us bringing her laughter and joy.  The day was pretty perfect with the cooler weather, the sunshine, good food, free bowl, and a good friend to share it with.

4 comments:

Lucky Lindy said...

My mother was listening to her talk show on the radio. And a lawyer said that senior citizens could defer their taxes to their survivors.

Why spend money you need for food, clothing, and rent, when you can hand it off to the kids!

So she did. When she passed, the amount due was $20k.

My brother had this bad habit of throwing stuff into the fireplace, and poof, it would burn. So, my mom had this fear. She told him "Don't throw my coupons in the fire!" She repeated it often.

After she passed, my brother took the big envelope marked coupons, and dumped them on the bed. Holy cow! It was full of $100 bills!

No wonder she was worried. After we got done counting, there was $100k. So we went to two banks and got $10k cashier checks to pay off the taxes, used some to fix up the house, and the rest we divied-up and hand carried it back through the airport. This was before the airports became Gulags, and they didn't sexually molest you.

Mom kind of failed the "spend money on yourself instead of taxes" bit.

My father was of a different mind, and probably why my mom divorced him. He got about 20 credit cards in the mail, from every oil company you can imagine. Then he went to Hawaii (twice!) and even visited Lindbergh's grave. He spent over $300 in one bar alone.

When he died shortly after (early 80's), all these credit card companies were calling and writing, and they wanted their money. We told them he doesn't live here. He's divorced and on his own.

Where's he at! They wanted to know. We gave them the address of the cemetery.

Do you have a phone number for him? No, we don't, he isn't taking calls anymore...

I bet you can't do that stuff these days.

Jo Castillo said...

I have lots of “empty bowls”. That is always fun to go to. Happy the probate is done and your day was good!

Lucky Linda, funny story and lucky!

Bag Blog said...

Lucky Lindy,
That was a lucky find! They say that people who have been really hungry will hoard food. I guess people who have been short of money - like with your dad - will hoard money.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
Every time I check something off my list of to-do for Mom, there is great celebration.