Friday, March 16, 2018

Touching Base

I've turned into a regular thief. Or maybe I'm just a mooch. Since we have no Wi-Fi at home and we come close to using all our data every month, I decided to spend more time at Viridian Coffee and use their Wi-Fi.  I know the owners, so it's okay.  In fact, we have brought our lunch inside and eaten while we steal the internet.  

It has been a slow week after all the excitement of my birthday last week.  On Monday and Tuesday I did some ITBS testing for a second grader. He did great, but it is always kind of hard on little guys. It is difficult to sit still for long, and it is really hard to sit still and focus on school stuff.  When they start fidgeting, it makes me fidget too - or at least worry.  I always explain to parents that testing kids so young is not always good. I'd rather them wait a few more years.  Although the kids sit and do the test, sometimes their little minds are far from doing their best work. Oh well. It is just a test.

When I get some photos on this computer, I will post some of my latest watercolors. My art has been a bit slow.  Yet, here I am playing on the computer :)

5 comments:

Etienne said...

I called Cox when I got a new modem recently. The lady was very helpful. She asked me if I wanted to be on the new upgraded system, now that I had a modern modem. What?? She said the new system is so much faster, and it will double your speed for the same price.

I told her I didn't know anything about that, and to upgrade me!

I asked how many people were on the old system, and she said that it was a very few old "coots." Harrumph!

Actually I got rid of the old modem because it was getting a lot of errors, so it made it even slower. So now I got faster speed with no errors.

Etienne said...

When I drive through some small towns I see the old copper telephone wires and power poles galore. You can see three different voltage levels on three different poles going through town.

I bet no one even uses the telephone wires anymore. It would probably pay someone to cut all that old stuff down and run new fiber, which is so much faster speed. Oklahoma should give the utilities 5 years to switch over, or they will condemn the copper to the highest bidder.

Bag Blog said...

Etienne, When we first move to Oklahoma, we were with an older telephone company and old step switch system. But they upgraded and we were able to get fast internet. Then we moved across the highway, and now we're stuck with AT&T and no internet.

Jo Castillo said...

Lou, happy your found some wi-fi you can use. It is sure hard on us that live in the boonies. There has been building in our area, so I’m hoping AT&T will extend their better service. AT&T is about 2 miles away and another cable co. is 1/2 mile away. Using satellite is not good either and very expensive. They have oversold their capability and the service is so slow, especially in the evening. I complain and they said they offer speeds “up to” 12mbps or whatever so they are fulfilling their obligation, I should reboot and that will help. The other night it was so slow that I couldn’t even do a speed test. Grrr…

Looking forward to seeing your paintings. :-)

Bag Blog said...

I hear ya on the internet service! AT&T has been the best cellular phone service for us here in the boonies , so why can't they get us internet service too. Grr is right.