Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Vital Needs

Today is ceramics! That makes me very happy on several different levels.

Toby and I are doing a diet plan through Halliburton called Naturally Slim.  It is a way of eating rather than a diet. The motto is "It is not what you eat, but when and how you eat." It is supposed to train or re-educate you to eat like a naturally slim person - to eat like you were made to eat before we decided to stuff ourselves at every meal. Anyway, it is a good diet so far. Eating less is always good - maybe not fun, but good. 

I mention the diet, because we have to watch several videos during the week on how to eat right and exercise some.  One of the videos had to do with stress. In the video we learned that everyone has certain needs, and if those needs are not met, we get stressed. There are different "vital needs" for different people. They listed 25 of those needs in a little book.  We were instructed to look at the list and pick out our seven vital needs. The list included things like finance, alone time, time with people, structured time, unstructured time, serving others, spiritual, empathy, etc. I wont' list them all, but I listed a few that I remember. I did pick out my seven vital needs (a few are listed above). Finance is not one of them. But I do like people, and yet, I like being alone. Unstructured time is great, but I need structured time too. I don't know what it means that I have opposite needs.

I love going to ceramics class. It is structured time. Getting to know the people while working on ceramics is fun - time with people.  But I love to go early so that I can work on the wheel before anyone else gets there. Sometimes it is good to get into my right brain and focus on art. Sometimes when I get to WF early, I do some shopping. Usually Toby and I have just done shopping together since we come to WF every weekend anyway. Shopping with Toby is fun, but I like my alone time too - taking my time, looking around, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's. Of course the best part of the day is getting to spend time with Jesse.  We usually go out to eat before going to ceramics, but I also like spending alone time in her house - and using her Wi-Fi!

Recently I discussed "structured time vs unstructured time" with a couple of my friends.  I've actually blogged about having "me days" when I don't have to be anywhere or do anything or see anyone. I love those days, but I don't think they are very good for me. Being the great procrastinator I can piddle away a day pretty easily. Things I meant to do can get lost in my doing what I wanted to do. Reading a book or browsing the internet can take up way too much of my time. It seems that I need some structure. Maybe I need structure, because I need a sense of accomplishment. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Getting things done does make me feel good - that is something to think about.  Unfortunately there is still that procrastinator thing. Obviously I need to work on this - along with my diet. Mondays are good, though. It seems that I get lots of needs met. Less stress.


3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Hey, sister! Yep, I did so good with an eat less plan and mostly eating regular, just less. I lost just over 20 pounds over a year or more. Now I’m back on gluten and have gained 10 pounds back. I could easily give up the gluten because I felt better, why does my mind not see it is easy to give up eating so much and feel better. Doesn’t make sense. Sigh.

Nice you are in the pottery class. Love that.

Etienne said...

My mother was 5 ft 2 in tall and weighed 95 pounds most of her life.

She was a pusher. A food pusher. If I tried to leave the table she insisted you at least try to eat some of [this or that].

So, to not make her feel bad about cooking all that delicious stuff, I remained and ate more. My brothers had no qualms about making her feel bad, so they refused to be pushed.

When I finally pushed away, not being able to take another spoonful, she would say to me "You are getting fat!"

I don't have many tricks, but to drink a full glass of water before you eat lunch and dinner. The theory being, that the water base to your stomach will make you feel full early. Then too, it will help digestion. A wet gut is a happy gut :-)

I bought this book called "French women don't get fat". It's kind of dated now, but it was a fun read. None of the recipes in it attracted me much though. I just liked her writing style. I think the reviewers were kind of brutal at the time.

Her story begins when she returned from America where she spent her senior year as an exchange student (insert pizza, danish rolls, donuts, etc). At the airport on her return, her father said she looked like a "sack of potatoes!"

Dads are so cruel, but her book was about her learning how to eat.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
This no eating or eating smaller amounts works well and it is cheaper on the grocery bill - ha!

Etienne,
Your mother sounds much like mine. Although my mom was taller, she could eat whatever she wanted and not gain weight. She was constantly offering food and then giving me a hard time because I was fat. She was really awful about it in the later stages of her dementia.