Monday, April 30, 2018

Cows and Cups

Wow! Did April go by fast or what?  Tonight is my last night at ceramics.  Actually, next week is the last class, but we will not be able to do anything other than pick up our stuff.  I'm thinking about signing up for the class during the summer, although I don't think Toby likes the idea.  He is all about saving money these days, since Halliburton is laying him off in December.  I'm of the mind that  I should go ahead and spend a bit of money while I have it :) It's just that during the summer, the barn is too hot to work in unless you get up at the crack of dawn or stay up until the sun sets to go throw pots in the barn.  We have a plan to build a room in the barn so that we can have a nice place to work - no matter the weather.  But until that room is built, I'd kind of like to have a nice place to work - like a real studio with all the clay stuff you could want or need. I've enjoyed my days in WF at the ceramic studio and spending the night with Jesse. We will see how it all works out.

When Jesse went to the big ceramic convention a few weeks back, she bought me some watercolor glazes. That's right! I can combine my watercolor with my ceramics!  Here is how the first few pieces of pottery with watercolor glaze turned out.
I have done a few more, but they have not been fired. At some point, I will take a snapshot of all my pots from the ceramic class, although they are not that impressive.

Although I am loving the mud, I seem to have this deep need to do pastels.  I've been working on finding a place to set up my pastels - rather than having to constantly get them out and put them up again.  I sort of have them out, but it is not to my liking.  I need to have them at the ready so that I can keep the creative juices flowing. Ha! I've been taking some "homestead" type photos to paint. And I have started one painting. In the meantime I did some cow paintings.  Here is a pastel of some Brahma cows.
Here are the same cows done in acrylic. Both cow paintings need some touch-up. I'll get to that someday. 

We had a breakfast here at the house for the seniors at our church, or what we call the empty-nesters.  About 20 people showed up Saturday morning for breakfast. It was a perfect day with sun and no wind. We were able to sit outside. For a bit of entertainment, Frank did a demo and talk, throwing a pot on the wheel. It went well. After cleaning on my house for days before the breakfast, then preparing the food and stuff, I was a tired puppy when it was over. We still went to WF to see Toby's mom. She is doing pretty darn good for an 88 year old who has had lots of falls and illness. We took her outside to enjoy the warm spring day.

Sunday was spent resting and catching up on laundry. Who'd a thought I would enjoy laundry, but after deep cleaning house all week, laundry was welcome.

8 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

You sound too busy! Good for doing art. The watercolor glazes are so pretty. Well done!! I love the cows, of course.

Happy Toby’s mom is doing OK.

When Toby isn’t working look at all the time you won’t have… We never have enough time, when did we have time to work?

I’m doing laundry today and somehow I’m not enjoying it. Ha. I do like my sheets dried out on the line and I like hanging them out, but not bringing them in. Go figure.

Hugs.

Lou Baggett said...

Jo,
With Toby working, weekends are our time to do things. Unfortunately, it is the only time he can go see his mom. Hence we have no time for anything else. And we have lots to do around the Lazy B. Laundry is not my favorite. I like putting sheets on the line. I don't mind bringing them in. It's folding and putting things away that doesn't get done. It's like the dishwasher - I don't mind putting things in, but taking them out is no fun.

Anonymous said...

So is it a forced retirement for Toby?

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
Sort of. He is not quite old enough. It's Toby Time.

Mary said...

Hi Lou; good to browse your blog again--it's been quite awhile since I've visited. Thanks for the photos of your art work--all lovely and fun to see. Your watercolor glazed pots are beautiful, and although you may not think the pots are impressive, I certainly do. Throwing pots is difficult, and I admire you for keeping at a tricky art form to master. The cows are also very nice--great composition in these works.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Mary. Like any art, practice is important . I've been practicing lots on the pottery. Hopefully I'll get better - bigger, better pots.

Etienne said...

I think your art and ceramics are a little bit too goody-goody.

You need to kick it up a whole notch, and start listening to punk music, and painting some really bizarre color splashing stuff.

You know, like Hitler meets Jimmy Swaggart at a destruction derby, with all sorts of flames and car parts going everywhere, with children running for cover...

Put some sugar in your coffee...

Bag Blog said...

Etienne, you may be on to something there!