Thursday, November 29, 2018

Upcoming Art Show

It is the end of the month and getting close to the end of my data. It has been such a busy time that I have not been on my computer to do any blogging. Sometimes I check things on my phone - Facebook and Instagram, or I read on blogs, but I hate to peck away on the phone keyboard to comment. I am forever slow and make lots of mistakes. Sigh! I like an old fashion, finger typing keyboard.

This week has been all about the upcoming Holiday Art Show at the CTAC.  CTAC absorbed the old Duncan Art Guild (DAG) which is a good thing. I gave up on the DAG years ago. Now, I am pouring my time into the CTAC hoping it will be a good outlet for art in the community. So far, it has been great - time consuming - but good for artists.

You may remember old posts about the Fall Art Shows that the DAG put on and how involved I was in that. The Holiday Show is something that has evolved from that old art show. Darcy, the CTAC director, is not an artist, but she is a great director. She was worried when there were very few entries in the Holiday Show. I told her not to worry - that artists were notoriously bad about waiting until the last minute to turn their entry form in. We artists are usually finishing up a project or waiting on framing stuff or we are just the biggest procrastinators ever.  Anyway, by last week when the entries were due, Darcy had about 100 artists signed up with 150 pieces of art. She was thrilled.

This past Tuesday was the day to turn in your art work. I worked at the gallery all day hanging art and taking in art. I was one tired puppy by the end of the day. The CTAC gallery is two-storied with steep stairs. I tried to focus my work on the downstairs area :) And of course, there were several artist who were late getting their work turned in - causing us to stay late. They did call and ask if they could still bring their art. One lady had taken her husband to the doctor in OKC and it took longer than expected - okay, you can be late.

One lady brought in the most hideous "sculpture" ever. I was horrified. She came in late - close to the deadline time with several large pieces including a female mannequin torso (headless) cut in half with sequins glued to the boobs and bottom. It was painted lime green. It was obscene. I wanted to tell her, "No!" but it was a lady from the old DAG whom I had butted heads with (imagine that) many times. In fact, she was one of the main reasons for me giving up on the DAG. I had to check myself - was the art really that bad (yes) or was I being spiteful (hmm, no)? I left the decision to Darcy, who let it slide this time. Hopefully next year we can be better on rules and regs in the entry form. Not that anyone pays attention to those things - the rules clearly stated that all art work must be ready to hang with wire hangers. You would not believe how many paintings I had to work on to get them to hang safely. Next year we need to be better about checking that when the art comes in and having the artist fix their own paintings. Back to the hideous green thing - that was not very hang-able. Truthfully, The artist is a really good artist, but lordy! What was she thinking with the green, obscene torso?! I hung it in the back of the show where it did not shout to people.

Today I need to fix food stuff for the reception tonight. I bought a nice, new tunic-type blouse to wear to the reception. One of my art buddies said it was important to dress nice and look good for these things. Well, I'll do my best, but I'd rather be wearing jeans.

I don't think my paintings will win  - there was some really nice artwork. Since the show is only broken into fine art, sculpture, and photography categories rather than into different mediums, my watercolors (posted earlier) will not compete against most oils. My pastel is okay, but probably not good enough - it is more sentimental to me, because it is from a photo of Toby and me riding in the Valle Vidal in NM years ago.
I can only hope to sell something. I'll let you know how it goes.

And in other news: the youngest grandboy fell and knocked his front tooth back. It was sore and loose.  The dentist said it would fall out on its own and not to worry about it unless it abscessed. Well it did abscess, and he had to have two teeth pulled. I am sure it will make him look extra tough - since he is such a tuffy.

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Mmmm, love this painting. The scenery is excellent and you have super gesture of you and Toby. Recognizable for sure. Applause and good luck with the show. Sounds really nice and should be fun.

Do you have a building? Where is the show? My friend, T, lives in Walker and might try to come.

The negative parts of an art group are usually the artists. Ha. Our group in Bastrop has just gone through a big upheaval. Don’t know how they are paying for the super art center. More fund drives on the horizon. It is bigger/more costly than this small town. How to get Austinites interested I guess.

Tooth Fairy said...

A funny story, we were playing in the rafters of a house under construction when this kid named Mike fell about 8 feet onto his head. Well we rolled him over and he was moaning, so we took him to his mother who looked into his mouth to see why he was bleeding, and his front tooth was gone! She ran to the place and found his tooth stuck in the wood floor. I thought it odd, but she spit on it and ran home. Anyway, his tooth was saved.

Here's the funny part - he's a fantastic dentist now in Hillsboro, Oregon.

He says he would like to give me a checkup, but I know better than to fall into that trap... I don't think he forgot about that day.

Anonymous said...

You're so busy, I hope you had time for a nice Thanksgiving with your family. I love your painting. I was tempted to buy your Saint Anthony church painting, but I am downsizing and don't know where to put things. It took us 23 years to hang a picture over the fireplace. Maybe I will have a chance to swing by and see the show on the way to/from Tulsa.

Enjoy your Christmas!

FF

bag blog said...

The show is really nice this year. I didn't win anything. There are some really nice pieces.

bag blog said...

Tooth Fairy, that sounds like a Toby story.

bag blog said...

FF, we had a very nice Thanksgiving. My sister and her husband were here. Jesse brought her friend. And of course Bo and family were here.

I did a smaller watercolor of St Anthony's and sent it to my old teacher buddy in Questa. Maybe I'll do another one. Holler at me if you come through Duncan again.