Saturday, December 08, 2018

Melancholy Week

It has been a strange week, but at least things have slowed down since last week and dealing with the art show.  I did a little painting every day - working on my Christmas cards.  So when I say "little" painting, that is exactly what they are - little 5x7 cards. So far, none have been knock-your-socks-off paintings. Most have been snowmen done with my art classes, but I have been working on some other things too.  Sometimes I get this feeling that I want to do some different technique. I can see it in my brain, but I cannot always get it to come out my paint brush.  Sometimes I have a really good idea while I'm doing something (maybe driving and thinking), but by the time I sit down at my art table, the thought is gone. That is how I feel lately.  I need to paint, but what?

Lately, it seems that I have been doing more watercolor - fast, easy, and cheap. And since I need inspiration, I signed up for a watercolor workshop in March with my painting buddy, Barb. We signed up for Graham Berry workshop in Dallas.  I first saw his work on World Watercolor Group in Facebook.  I love his light and color.  Last year he came to the USA and traveled around doing workshops and I was envious - wanting to take one.  Maybe taking his workshop will be just what I need to perk up my art.

On Wed. of this week, Bill Hunter, AKA Big Daddy, passed away. He was Lindz' grandfather and the father to my friends Janice and Beverly.  Big Daddy was 95 years old and always such fun - laughing and telling stories of his days as a career Navy man.  He served in WWII, but missed being at Pearl Harbor by shear luck.  While all his buddies went to Hawaii, he chose to stay close to home and do his training in Texas. It probably saved his life. Then he fought in the South Pacific and later continued in the Navy living all over the world.  Of course he had been retired for a long while, and living in CO for years, but had moved to Duncan about 3 years ago to be near his daughters and most of his grandchildren.  His apartment became the party spot for all of them.  He loved having his grandkids around. Just last week Jesse and Lindz took Theo/Teddy to see Big Daddy and have lunch with him.  Jesse said it was a special day with lots of laughing and just being with Big Daddy. Then on Wed he went into the hospital complaining of chest pains. While in the hospital, he made jokes with the nurses and kept everyone entertained. A few hours later, he had died of pneumonia.  He lived a good long life and died peacefully without being down and sick. He will be missed.

This past week I also watched the funeral of George Bush and listened to the eulogy of his son. With the passing of these two men, it made me think of losing my own dad in Dec of 2005. It all made me a bit melancholy.  I took my mom's little dog, Buddy, to the vet on Wed and found out that he has congestive heart failure. I may be able to keep him alive a bit longer if I can get him to eat, but there is nothing really to do for him.  It makes me sad, but not like losing Ranger last year. It is probably more sad because Buddy was Mom's little dog for years.

Next week I have a watercolor "party" at the CTAC.  I will teach a little class in making watercolor Christmas cards. I need to get into the Christmas spirit - maybe even put out my Christmas decorations. Maybe I'll knock out a nice painting in the meantime.  My niece and her husband are coming up from Austin for Christmas.  We will have a little Christmas Eve party. I know things will perk up.  It was just a strange week.

11 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

It was a melancholy week. Watching the Bush family was something. He was a great man. Gene met him and translated for him at a big meeting as his translator was ill. A nice couple of days. A life of service to our country.

Sounds like Mr. Hunter was a fine man,too. All y’all will miss him. Good memories, though.

Yes, the funeral and all the talk brings us to memories of our moms and dads, too. Thinking of you with hugs and smiling.

bag blog said...

I had forgotten that Gene had met George Bush. That is pretty cool.

Yes, a melancholy week.

Jo Castillo said...

Gene also met Dan Quayle, I saw him at the airport in La Paz they wanted a crowd to see him off. He was OK. Carter came to Peru, we did not go to the reception. Then Al Gore came to La Paz, I didn't see him, but the environmental VP had to have a big plane bring "his" limousine down as the ones the Ambassador used were not new and big enough. He was pompous and rude Gene said.

Sigh....

Anonymous said...

Since I was in Tulsa, I missed all the coverage except a little in a doctor's office. My accommodations did not have tv. Then I forgot Pearl Harbor Observance day! My uncle was a Pearl Harbor survivor, and I always put the flag out. Well, it was bad weather for a flag.

I know what you mean about the melancholy...It is heartbreaking to lose our dogs, to the point that I don't think I can own any more dogs after these. The loss of a great man is even worse.

Hang in there, things will definitely get better soon!

FF

bag blog said...

LBJ's daughters coming to Red River to ski is as close as I've been to anyone Presidential. Well, I was coming in to land at Love Field in Dallas when George Bush Sr. Was flying out. They held all planes in the air until his plane was up and gone. Then we made the fastest landing and left turn off the runway ever and planes lined up coming in behind us.

bag blog said...

FF. The weather turned out to not be so bad here, but better safe than sorry. I don't really know how it was in Tulsa, but it was only rain here. WF got snow and slush, but it was just above freezing so it was not too bad.

Etienne said...

My Uncle Jesse was on the USS Essex in the Philippine Sea when it was hit by a Kamikaze. That was in late 44, and he was discharged from Great Lakes Naval hospital in 47.

His burns were not as severe as his broken bones, and he had to learn to walk all over again, as some of his nerves were destroyed.

The good news is, he fell in love with his nurse and they were married until they died. His wife was a RN for unwed mothers (among other things through life), and they adopted three kids.

My dad never talked about the war, but Jesse said "Your dad was on R&R every 3 weeks, he had it easy". My dad looked at him pitifully, and said "At least we weren't sitting on a god damned fuel tank in the middle of the ocean".

No one laughed, but I could tell it helped them to even talk about it that much.

Jesse's wife was quick to say "you two talk about something else!"

Jo Castillo said...

Etienne, wow, the greatest generation took care of all of us. Thanks to them we are free to do as we please, eh? Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch TV (so to speak), but last night I was visiting a friend in the hospital and the news was on and I heard about the terrorism in Strasbourg. Very sad, and rather scary, since you were there so recently.

FF

Bag Blog said...

Etienne, Sorry for not getting back to respond to your comment sooner. Stories of the Greatest Generation always fascinate me. It is like those men and women were bigger than life, but then I see photos of them and remember that they were just young soldiers doing their job. I'm glad they did it well.

Araujoshik said...

u might wanna take lolly pops and eat right before u go in because u cant eat while ur there....lolly pops will be a good idea to take along with a cross word puzzle and things to entertain ur self while waiting.

best backpack diaper bag