Monday, February 04, 2019

Refreshing and Fun


Yes, we have data again!  For the last week or so, we have been without data or rather slow data.  I did try typing out my blog post on Word, and then I was going to go to Viridian and upload it (download it?) to my blog. But when I got to Viridian, my post was gone. Stolen! It’s probably out there in cyber space somewhere or somewhere on my computer. So I started another post. Once we go over our data limit, things slow down, but they are still possible.  After typing for a while, I really didn’t care for my post. Sigh. I looked at it again this morning, and I’m still not thrilled with it. It’s just so blah. I may use parts of it, but once again, I am typing and thinking. I’m also trying Word again  - just to save some data.  Speaking of data, when Jesse and I went into our phones to see who had used the most data (datahog) our phones showed that we had not gone over our data. When we add up all our data usage, we are well below what we signed up for. I think this is going to require us to make a trip to the phone store and talk with someone. I would go do it by myself, but usually they say I am not able to make decisions – only Toby can do that. No matter how many times he says to put me on the decision making list, I never show up there.  Then I will throw a hissy fit. No, I won’t, but it will be a close thang.

This morning I signed up with one of those food basket sites – the ones that send you the ingredients and you cook tasty meals.  We did this a few years ago, and it was fun.  I actually cook quite a bit and try new things often. Still, I thought this food basket thing would be refreshing and fun.  When we lived in NM, I would never have made such a decision in February.  The snow and winter would have made me crazed much like August heat and summer does now. February does not make me crazed anymore. I am ready for spring, though. I am ready for new things – food being one of those things.  I am signed up for some workshops, too.  There is a one-day workshop in OKC with Dale Martin coming up on the 16th. I am looking forward to it for several reasons: I want to work more in pastels, I want to refresh my pastel technique, and I want to get to know the pastel society in OKC.  Also, in Feb is a little ceramic workshop at Midwestern University in Wichita Falls.  It is actually two weekends and coincides with my pastel workshop. We will have to figure out if I can just take the first weekend of the ceramics. Then in March I am taking a watercolor workshop with Graham Berry. I think I mentioned this one already.  I know I just said I want to work more in pastels and this one is a watercolor, but this one should be a real learning experience.  I love Berry’s work – his light and color are awesome! It should also be fun since I will go spend a few days with my old painting ladies.  We have found an Airbnb to make things really comfy and fun.

Another fun art thing - Jesse had a little art show opening in OKC this past Friday.  It was the same gallery that she showed one of her prints last summer.  This time it was a “members show.” Apparently, you can join this gallery, which has four shows a year, and submit work to be shown in those shows. At this show, she showed her four of her prairie dog canopic jars.
She sold all four of them. Then with money to burn, she turned around and bought a painting that was also at the show.  A friend of mine and I drove to The City and met up with Jesse and her friends at the art gallery in the Paseo art district. Then we went across the street and ate at a funky restaurant called Picasso’s.  It was lots of fun for us two old ladies to hang with the younger crowd.

On a funny note, my friend and I arrived at the Paseo early to be able to walk around and see the galleries and art before we met up with Jesse.  The Paseo art district does a first Friday where the shops stay open later and there are street musicians and gallery specials, etc.  One of the galleries is owned by a lady who used to be in the Duncan Art Guild. She shows several artists from around Duncan. I always stop in and say hi to her and see what is hanging. I butted heads with her back in the DAG days, but I do respect her as an artist. Anyway, she had some Michael Davidson art, and Michael was there to visit with people. He had recently shown his work at the CTAC gallery.  He is a guy about my age and about 7 feet tall. He is fun.  His work would be great with Jesse’s – buffalos and rabbits, and other western critters.  I had talked to him several times about Jesse and showed him her work in photos.  He has always been friendly and enthusiastic about maybe doing a show with Jes, but who knows what someone is really thinking. Seeing her work in photos is one thing, but meeting Jesse in person is another, and I was finally able to introduce them.  Friday night she was dressed up and her eyes were shining.  We had been laughing lots at dinner, and her friends are equally beautiful and fun. When I introduced them to Michael, they made an obvious impression.  It reminded me of being at the paint-out last summer in NM. Jesse made friends with everyone. Her laughing and talking and her art work are always fun and impressive.

We also ran into Jim Fatherly at the same gallery. Now there is a piece of work!  He is a bit older than me (although I may be catching up :) He also shows his work at the CTAC gallery. I had seen him, but never really had much of a conversation with him at those shows. But when I introduced myself on Friday night, he became all suave and charming (or not - depending on your view), and when I shook his hand, he said, “Yes, I know you, Lou.” Ppfft! I wanted to say “No, you don’t” but I recognize a bullshooter when I see one and I deal well with those sorts.  He was there to charm and sell art. He was all flirty and fun. Yes, fun. Those kinds of guys always remind me of some of my dad’s old friends. They may be a bit crass and maybe full of themselves, but for some reason I kind of like them.  And yes, his conversation was peppered with cuss words. It didn’t bother me – it was part of the performance. I was quite enjoying myself discussing Jim’s life and his art. My friend, on the other hand, was not enjoying him. She kept walking away and was busying herself looking at other art. I was a bit torn at trying appease her, but enjoying the craziness of Jim and his crazy art. When we left and went into the next gallery, my friend said, “Well, he was certainly full of himself!” I said, “Well, he is an artist and he was selling his art.” I knew what she was saying, and I understood where she was coming from. But, in truth, he was talking about himself, but he was paying attention to me – that's salesmanship. And fun. 
Hopefully we can get the data thing figured out. I do want to blog more. Spring is in the air and it is time to get busy on those New Year resolutions. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She should have sold the canopic jars as a set, because you can't put all your internal organs in just one. Prairie dog canopic jars - who would have thunk!

FF

Bag Blog said...

Ff, I think they were sold as a set. Then someone commissioned another one. Lots of internal organs:) you should see her rabbit canopic jars.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Mikel Davison's art at the CTAC show.

I recently discovered that my grandmother's half-sister's husband's brother's grandson wrote a book, a sort of genealogy-family history memoir. Found out he grew up close to me and was about my age. I was thinking I would love to meet him. Then I watched his interviews online and I thought, "He is full of himself." He has become a local celebrity back home. I guess he is selling his image. Sort of lost interest in him, but not the family.

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF, I think people do have to sell themselves which makes them look full of themselves. Sometimes they begin to believe the lie.

Jo Castillo said...

Fatherly sounds interesting. And a good time was had by all as they say. Good for you to go the workshops. They sound great.

Bag Blog said...

Jo, Fatherly has some fun art and he sells well.

I'm looking forward to the workshops - something to perk me up.

Etienne said...

I live in OKC (well outskirts) and I've never seen the Paseo district unless it was at 30 MPH. There used to be a Gay bar up there, I wonder if it's still there.

Many years ago, I seem to recall if you wanted a Tattoo there was a place there that you could give a secret handshake and they would put a Tattoo on your girl friends butt.

Bag Blog said...

The paseo area is different, but not as bad as Deep Elm in Dallas.