Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Birthday 61

Last Saturday was my 61st birthday.  We had the usual crowd over to eat, which was quite a crowd. We cooked the usual fajitas with all the good fixin's to go with them. Jesse cooked me a pound cake - my favorite. Actually she texted me and said she was going to bake me a coconut cake. I don't really like coconut, but whatever. And I said as much. Since it was MY birthday, she said she would go ahead and make me a pound cake.

I've probably mentioned this before, but my grandmother used to make a pound cake for my birthday. The first year Toby and I were married my grandmother had a stroke. So on my birthday, Toby asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said that I wanted a pound cake. Since Nanny could not make me one, I was a bit sad. He asked his sisters to make me a pound cake. They chose to make me a carrot cake. Go figure!

By the end of my birthday evening after feeding the crowd, Toby and I were bushed. We decided next year, we should go out to eat or someone else should do the cooking.  As were cleaning up and getting ready for bed, I discovered that I had put the rice in a container and then put it in the cabinet rather than the fridge. Then I was making the coffee (so we can just turn it on first thing in the morning) and I poured a scoop of coffee beans on the plastic lid of the grinder (without taking the lid off). Beans went everywhere. Toby laughed at me and said, "Some people age slowly and others go down hill fast." I guess turning 61 sent me downhill fast.

So, one of my birthday presents was my trip to Dallas to the Graham Berry watercolor workshop with my friends Glenna and Barb.  We drove down on Tuesday after school to go to the Southwest Watercolor Society meeting where Graham was doing a demo. It was fun to be a part of that. Then this morning we started our first class of three days. It was awesome. I was just so excited watching Graham paint. He uses six colors and paints so vibrantly. Amazing. Here is my painting:

We are staying in an Airbnb, which is really nice. I am enjoying my buddies and all is good. Dallas is a big city with lots of traffic. I can live without that, but it is fun for a few days. I'll post more later.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Hey, old lady! Thanks for taking the time to write and post. I love the painting. Full of action and color. Nicely done.
Happy Belated Birthday! That was a great part of your presents. Hope it all goes/went well.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. I'm glad you got to go to the workshop with some friends. I use airbnb a lot, especially in Tulsa. I bet you had a great combination of fun and learning!

FF

Bag Blog said...

Jo, The workshop was fun and I learned lots, but more importantly it was inspiring. Inspiration is always good.

FF, The Airbnb was really nice, although there were some issues that could have made it better. Still, it was a great place to stay. And the workshop was really good.