Thursday, March 21, 2019

An Old Friend

It was good to get home from the watercolor workshop on Friday evening. We had worked on a third painting at the workshop. After lunch Graham Berry did another part of the painting. About the time I sat down to work on my own painting, people started packing up and leaving. One of the ladies I was with wanted to go, too. Beat the traffic. I was more interested in doing the painting, and I said as much. So we stayed longer. It was difficult to paint with people packing and moving around and going behind me and asking me to move a little so they could get their big-Art carts past me. Finally I gave up or gave in. The traffic was really not so bad. We made it home in about 3 hours.

On Sunday I was going through Facebook stuff, when I came across an obituary of an old high school boyfriend. It was a guy that I had quite a crush on, but we were more friends. We never seemed to be free to date each other at the right time. But the crush was mutual. I was sad to see that he had died at 62. That's way too young. I didn't cry, though, just sad.

I remember the first time I spoke with Cody. He was a Greaser (a kid from the poor side of town) sort of kid, but very popular. He was good-looking and athletic (Golden Gloves champion). He never aspired to be popular, he just was. I had a biology class with him my sophomore year. He sat on the opposite side of the room from me and up a bit - I could watch him easily. One day the teacher gave us free time to just sit and visit. I pulled out my sketch book (yes, I have always done art) and started to sketch Cody. I would look at him and then draw, look and draw, look and draw... then I looked up and he was gone. I looked around the room, but could not find him. Then he spoke, "What are you doing?" He was in the seat behind me wanting to know why I was staring at him. He was just curious. He was impressed that I was drawing and maybe a bit humbled that I was drawing him. I was mortified. But Cody was always easy to talk to. He made me comfortable. He knew I was shy and obviously liked him. From then on, we were friends. He always made time for me.

We only went out once. I needed a date to a dance that I had been invited to. So, I asked him. I had actually asked two other guys. One said yes, then he changed his mind (broke my heart). The next guy that I asked was more of a friend. He said he wouldn't mind going with me, but had really wanted to ask this other girl. Fine. So I asked Cody. He said yes. He didn't really want to go, since the dance was at the country club and that was not his style, but he went just for me. We had fun. He took me home at 11:30 because that was my curfew, although he had another party to go to. I really wanted to go with him, but I dared not break my curfew. The next morning, my dad asked me why I came home so early. I said it was my usual curfew. Dad said, "Yeah, but you are almost a senior now and I thought you would have stayed out longer." I was furious with my dad. I actually let him know that he should have said something  - like - sure you can stay out longer. Oh well.

Our senior year, I worked in the office last period of the day. I did attendance records. Onetime, Cody asked me if I would mark him there when he wanted to skip school. I remember just staring at him open-mouthed, wide-eyed.  In my head, I was thinking OMG. "You mean you want me to lie?" For Cody I might do it, but what if I got caught? I'm sure I looked lost and Cody realized it. Before I could say anything he said, "Never mind! Forget that I asked." He was really okay with it, because he knew who I was. I knew who he was too. No matter my crush, he was not "the guy" for me. But I really liked him. I'm very sad that he is gone.


Here are the other paintings done at the workshop. I posted them on FB and got lots of comments and likes. I don't think people understand that it was a workshop. I don't paint like that all the time. Maybe I should. Now I need to put what I learned into practice. See if I can make it work.

8 comments:

Etienne said...

I was watching an old video of when they built airplanes out of wood during World War I. The factories were filled with young men and women who looked like they were in their 20's.

As I watched them toil, it dawned on me that none of them are alive today. They looked so youthful, and yet we know that they got old, became grandparents, and departed.

Time seems to be the cruelest of quantities...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I look up old crushes and/or boyfriends...I find a few obituaries, and a lot of mug shots! What a surprise.

On the other hand, an old boyfriend is a doctor, another a lawyer. They didn't all turn out bad. They were not for me, though.

I don't know enough about painting to know how a workshop painting is different from your paintings at other times, but I do like them!

FF

Jo Castillo said...

Workshops are always interesting. I think one thing we should do is practice what we learned when we get home. I always take lots of notes and photos and then put them away after I blog about it. Sigh.. I’m pretty sure the idea is not to copy but to incorporate the part of the lesson that you liked/needed/preferred into our own work. Every once in a while I think, “Oh, shucks, I should have used O’Hagen’s dark underpainting or McKinley’s purple behind the trees, etc.” A few times I remember and my painting is better for it. I suppose we learn in spite of ourselves sometimes.

Sad about your friend. We only had 15 in our senior class and not many left that we see anymore. I think I told you about one that we ran into about 3 years ago that we had been told was dead. A bit of a shock. Nice memories….

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, I liked your workshop paintings. I think some of your style shows through!

Lou said...

Etinne,
it's all a journey. We just have to make the best of it. I often wonder if my parents had similar thoughts and experiences. I'm sure they did. I remember my dad talk about how more and more friends were dying off.

FF,
At a workshop you do what the teacher\ artist does - follow his style. When you get home, you have to try to make it your own, use what you learned, and not be a copy-cat. I chose this artist because I like his color and light. It came easy for me in the workshop.

Jo,
I have some ideas and photos to try painting in this style. I just need to get busy painting. That's the kicker - I gotta get going.

Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful paintings...
have a great day

Jo Castillo said...

I was looking to see if you had posted and I missed it and remembered something. My dad used to read the obituaries every day. He said, "I'm checking to see if my name is there yet."

Alison said...

Hi Lou,
I am far from qualified to talk about technique in art but I do know that I've always liked (and loved) your work. Sometimes your paintings hit me square on the jaw.... and then others, like the softer watercolors you do, are beautifully serene. I am always drawn to the landscapes from out your way... something about those . Just my two cents. :)