Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A Small Skirimish

Today I posted an article on FB basically saying that we should all work together during this time of crisis - not bash each other and finger point the blame. My brother had posted an article a few days prior that had bashed Trump for being too slow and lying about what he was doing about the coronavirus. I jokingly posted that maybe Trump should have closed the borders. Geeze Louise! I got a long lecture from both my brother and my brother-from-another-mother. Both have very liberal views. I don't know what all they said. Didn't really read it. Well, I got the gist and moved on. Then friend of my brother's commented that Dr. Fauci of the CDC, who works for Trump, was afraid of being fired by Trump, so he wouldn't contradict Trump (I guess that means that Trump is lying). And that Trump would have him "resign" soon. Hmm, does that mean that Dr. Fauci did not do his job well and in a timely manner and did not give Trump good advice or good info  - all because he was afraid of losing his job? Maybe he should "resign." Why would Trump have people working for him who would give him slow or bad info or not advise him to the best of their ability?

Whatever! I don't think I can take too much more politicos on FB. It gives me that sick feeling in my stomach to read some of the hate. But then it gives me a sick feeling to let it go and not respond to stupiditiy. And when I do respond, it gives me a sick feeling that I may hurt or upset someone. Sometimes I think it is time for people to stand up for what is good and right. Is that how a warrior feels before he goes into battle?

Years ago when I was teaching in Mission, TX, I got into a discussion with a fellow teacher. I think his name was Larry Klingensmith.  He was about my age and a new teacher too.  He was new to the Valley, also. Anyway, we were arguing about women playing baseball - he said women were not very good at being coached.  I don't remember the argument much, but I did get so angry with Mr. Klingensmith that I called him an a$$hole (I was a Democrat back then :) Later I felt really bad about losing my temper and calling him a name, and I went to apologize.  But Mr. Klingensmith said, "NO, NO! Don't apologize. That was the best part! Don't ruin it!" And he grinned at me.  He probably thought it was great that he could make me so mad that I would call him a name, but it was really great that we could argue and get over it. Loved him.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Our friend “T” that moved up to your area is one of those good liberal guys, too. We argue, sometimes heatedly, but are still friends. How can you learn anything if you don’t see both sides? Others just won’t see us or talk. Too personal I guess.

Also you guys need to read or listen to MacCallum's new book, " Unknown Valor: A Story of Family, Courage and Sacrifice from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima.” Amazing book and she reads it so well if you get Audible.

I try not to put anything political on my “art” stuff, which is my social media stuff. It started from going to music. It is so irritating to go to listen to music and they start in on their rants. A couple of the people we really like do that, so we are not supporting them. We go to listen to music, not their politics. Even if we agree, that isn’t what we pay for.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
I do love a good argument - one where you get to make points and hear points and still love each other. I have mellowed much since my fight with Klingensmith.

I recently read "Unbroken" the Louis Zamperini story. It was good, but the Japanese POW camps just about did me in. I'll mention "Unknown Valor" to Toby and see if he is game. He is reading a book called "Whahoo" about a WWll submarine.

Jo Castillo said...

Yes, Martha's book is written with conversations, etc. She had a group to research and they found two buddies of her Uncle still alive and she went to Iwo Jima with them. It is happy sad, good memories from the families and how excited the boys were to go. The descriptions of the battles are so horrorific. But her inflections when she reads it is so good. Wow. We'll check out Zamperini.

Anonymous said...

Lou, consider this book, because your uncle was involved. It is supposed to be made into a movie at some point...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0306822962/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe

There was also an episode on the History or Military Channel, and I watched it online. It was very good, although your uncle's part was at the very end and he was not mentioned by name.

That was back when I could not reach you because your email was full. I read a lot of fascinating articles about your very decorated uncle.

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
Thank you so much for sharing. I will get that book! Any info on my uncle's escapades is appreciated. I'm not even sure how much his son knows. Family history is fascinating, because I've heard stories, but don't know how much is real or mixed up.

Anonymous said...

Last summer, I sent you three emails about your uncle, but they came back because, it said, your email box was full. I am going to send them to you again. Indeed, there are some great stories about your uncle! He had a lot of coverage in his local paper.


I am going to re-send those now.

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
Yes! By all means send me what you got. The Matney boys were quite popular in their hometown since they were all great athletes. I can see why their would be articles about Carl.