Friday, April 03, 2020

Getting Out

Toby took yesterday and today off. Things in the oilfield are slow - too slow. We made a plan to get up early and go to the allotted senior time at Sam's Club in WF.  It worked great. There were very few people there. They also had employees at the curb who would take your order, get your groceries, and deliver them to your car.  We opted to go in and get our own. Although we do make lists, sometimes in the walking around part, we think of things we need. We also had several other people who knew we were going to Sam's that added to our list. It was a lot of groceries.

Since it was still early when we finished, we took Jesse her groceries, and she had migas for us.  We ate our breakfast and sat outside on her patio.  Mat, her manfriend, was using her wifi, much like we do, so that he could hold class with his Midwestern students.  He is a music professor and the class he was teaching online was in conducting music. Sometimes he had the students sing "la la" notes while they conducted music via the internet. If that wasn't funny enough, Jesse's dog, Rosie, would hear the singing and start barking. Jesse would go into fits of laughter while chasing the dog down to get her to be quiet. It was the highlight of our week.

When we left there, which was fairly quick since both Jesse and Mat were technically working and we were supposed to be distancing, we went to the Mexican grocery across town.  On our drive there, we saw my little brother out jogging/walking.  Such a small world. We honked and waved like good distancers.  At the Mexican grocery, we bought chorizo, which is so much better than the packaged brand.  We also bought flan and got two spoons. Yum!  On our way home we dropped off more groceries at my son's house. He came out to meet us since we were not allowed inside. Sigh. I get it, and I don't.

Once home, we took a nap. Since we had started the day so early, we had time to go out and work on the man cave/pottery room. We put up a few more sheets of sheetrock. Whoohoo! What fun!

Here is a portrait that I have been working on:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny; I just spent 3 1/2 hours streaming an opera and I was wondering, "That conductor - is he just moving his arms to the music, or does it mean something? It must!" To me, it is a mystery.

My Italian club was planning on seeing this opera in Dallas on March 25th, before the season was canceled. The Metropolitan Opera was streaming it for free.

I make my own chorizo. I had to do it because of my son's sodium restricted diet. We don't need the salt, either. It would taste better with salt, for sure. It is easy to make if you have a big, good food processor. You just need chilis, apple cider vinegar, some spices, and ground pork. I had to buy a lean pork because it had less sodium, but I also mix it with fatty ground pork because it really needs the fat. If you don't have to worry about sodium, it is easier and cheaper to make!

FF

Jo Castillo said...

I recognize that face! Good job, excellent in fact. Happy to see you painting.

It is weird going out for stuff. We went to town, I went in for groceries. Gene went for gasoline and to Lowe’s. We stopped and got Schlotsky’s to go. Sort of a blah outing.

I’ve been watching some short painting videos. Directv is offering all sorts of free movie channels but our internet isn’t great for the on demand stuff. Slow with so many folks on so lots of buffering. Oh well.

We aren’t big chorizo fans, but HEB has the fresh stuff and Roger’s store in Sierra Vista has it and much better than the package as you say.

We get lots of photos of the great grands since everyone is home. Need extra storage on a key drive for those!

Take care…..

Bag Blog said...

FF,
When I was in band back in high school, there were certain things that the conductor did that was important to me. Starting and stopping were the two most important things. Sometimes when a new part was starting or the pace picked up or got quieter, etc. I was not a good band student and should have paid more attention.

I doubt I would ever make my own chorizo, but maybe. This little grocery is pretty great.

Jo,
Thanks on the painting. I had sent it to Jesse several days ago. She is a tough critic. I worked it over and over. I probably could still do more, but I may set it aside for now.

We videoed with the kids this morning. It was wild.

Anonymous said...

Since I am not an artist like you and Jo, I feel that cooking is my way of being creative. Not that I am a good cook - I just feel happy that I can create something!

I admire you and Jo and Jesse who can produce art!

FF

Jo Castillo said...

FF, cooking is very creative. Now is a good time to try new things and perfect old recipes.

Bag Blog said...

FF,
Jo is right. Cooking is very creative. I like to new recipes, but these days it is Toby who has been trying different foods. Ever since I started him on Pinterest, he has all sorts of ideas. Some of his new ideas are like his use of essential oils. I keep telling him he cannot mix the oils willy-nilly. There are just some things that do not mix well. He does that with spices too. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes not.