Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Distancing

Wouldn't ya know that I would start back to blogging at the same time we have to practice social distancing. The good part of that is I have lots of time to blog. The bad part is that my life is pretty boring. Although, it was probably pretty boring to begin with.

I am still working on computer stuff. In order to do the online pastel workshop, I have to download Zoom. I did so. Then I tried to get Jesse to play with me/try it out by joining a meeting. It said that you did not have to download to join, but I'm pretty sure I either got that wrong or they lied. Anyway, Jesse downloaded Zoom, but we never had a meeting. Sigh. She sent a text asking me to join her meeting by clicking on whatever link. But I had downloaded Zoom onto my Kindle first. Then I thought better and downloaded it onto my laptop - easier to see if I am doing a painting class. But Jesse sent me a link on my phone! I couldn't just click on her link. So I tried downloading it onto my phone, too. Eventually, I muddled the whole thing. Jesse said that we should try again later. I'm sure she was just trying to distance herself from me and my computer woes.

Today I have been trying to hook my laptop up to my printer through my new wifi. I actually managed to do it, I think. I connected the two and cheered for a minute. Then, the laptop said that my printer was low on ink. Well, I haven't used it in over a year or so. I remember putting ink in, but it not doing well even back then. Hmm. Maybe I bought the cheap stuff. When the ink cost as much as a new printer, it is difficult to decide what to do next. Should I go spend $50 on ink or should I get a printer that is more up to date and might actually work?

I find working on the computer, printer, new apps, wix site, etc. all very much like playing golf. Now and then I hit a great shot and everyone is impressed. Mostly, though, I top the ball or dig the ground or slice it to the side. Then I spend lots of time looking for the ball and getting it back in the playing area. I hate it, an yet, I keep trying.

It's probably a good think no one is around right now.

FF, I got my book, "The Last Battle."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can probably help you because I am a techy kind of person. I love to figure things out. I'll send you an email later.

I hope you like the book. Also, there is a newspaper article about the tennis player coming to the US and thanking your uncle.

The ink in your printer probably just went bad. It is pretty expensive. As printer prices went down, the price of ink went up. You can buy an expensive printer that uses less ink or less expensive ink. Trade-offs!

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
I thought the ink might have just dried up or gone bad. I just hate to spend $50 dollars if there is something else wrong with the printer. I had bought some less expensive ink - back when it was still working. It gave me a warning that less expensive ink could mess up the printer. Who knows.

Jo Castillo said...

Printers are such a rip off, eh? Our Canon has a large black ink and a small black ink and the three colors. I thought I could print in black if the colors ran out. No way, all colors have to have some ink before you can print in just black and white. It is about $80 for our ink. Terrible. It has a nice scanner and makes copies well but it has to run the ink around even if I’m scanning to the computer. I use it as little as possible but…….

I like the golf analogy. Ha.

Zoom I don’t know but they had something on the news last night about being careful in sharing the link to your conversation or whatever cause hackers are adding in bad language, etc. Good luck with that stuff. Get proficient so you can help me. :-)

We went for groceries. Wasn’t too bad, no tp but we are OK still. They did have generic kleenex so got some in case.

Stay safe, hugs.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
My friend who comments as FF, helped me with the zoom. We had a video meeting. I'm not sure I can do it again, but I managed somehow. It was very confusing. I've gotten brave enough that I try all sorts of things, but it doesn't always work out well :)

Etienne said...

My opinion is zoom is not safe, because your connection is not secure end-to-end.

If you want the latest technology, you have to try:

https://jitsi.org/

This is an open source software, which means programmers can review the code and know right away if something nefarious is going on.

Use Chrome as the browser, and it will integrate a calendar into your browser page.

Get your instructor to try it out after you and your daughter test it.

It's simple. Here's where I heard about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMnD-47Rquo

Lawrence Systems is in Detroit and he sets up network hardware and software for local companies.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Etienne, I will pass the info on to the instructor and check out the YouTube video.