Wednesday, May 13, 2020

New Normal??

Yesterday I went with my DIL to take herself and four kids to the dentist. The dentist does not let everyone in together. People pull up and park. Then they text that they have arrived for their appointment. Then they wait on a text back as to who gets to come in - wearing a mask.  Since GBN4 did not have a dentist appointment, he was going to be sitting in the car the whole time and someone needed to be there with him - me. It actually went well, and the kids were a hoot. Their mom went last and took the longest, so we all got to play games in the car.  We play Trivia Crack. They are especially good at Disney Villains, and pretty good at the Star Wars and Marvel triviatopics, not to mention geography and science.  When all was said and done and we were leaving, my DIL said that the dentist said this was going to be the new norm for how they did things - like forever. I was horrified.

My next stop was to the CTAC office where we are getting ready to mail out Paint in the Park brochures, which was rescheduled for June 13th. We decided to go ahead with this since it is an outdoor activity and people can practice their social distancing. I helped change the dates on over 200 brochures and put mailing labels on them. It was mindless work, and I got to visit with Darcy, the director of CTAC. We are both ready for this whole distancing to be done.

When I was done with that, I picked up my little art student and brought her to the house to paint. We have been working on a portrait. She chose a photo of GBN2 to paint from. She is amazing and inspirational - making me want to do better. Here is her painting in progress. By the way, she just turned 15 years old.  There are some things that need touching up, but the detail and the exactness to the photo is awesome.  When we are done with this, we are going to do some plein air paintings to get ready for the paint in the park.

A friend of mine called to invite me to spend Wednesday picking strawberries at a farm in Charlie, TX. That's just across the river. She said we would leave in the morning and be home in the afternoon before the storms hit. Hmm, spending the day picking strawberries did not sound great to me. Then what are you going to do with them - freeze or can them? I declined. I don't eat that many strawberries. Now peaches are another thing.

So although we are getting more back to normal, it is not normal yet.  Twice, Toby and I were in town and tried to find a place to go inside and eat. Don Jose's was seating people - spaced every other table. Don Jose's has really bad food and poor service - they do quite well in Duncan. I guess we will continue to eat at home or take-out.



2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

What a wonderful painting your student did. Applause to the teacher!
It is hard to have a relaxing time. One of my friends is terrified to go even to the grocery store. So many other things to be afraid of. Sigh.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
My little artist friend is just that talented. I have done very little to help her.

I hope people soon tire of being afraid and hiding out. I want to live life while I can.