Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Busy Work

After my little watercolors, several people wanted more. I made myself a list and started on it yesterday.  When I did the little hummingbird, someone asked me for another. When I did the scene with the bicycle propped against the tree, the owner of the bicycle asked me for another watercolor with a different bicycle. Another  friend sent me photos of her family and asked me to paint in watercolor - fortunately they are fairly good photos. Another person sent me photos of people who were vague at best and asked me to paint them. I did the painting, but was not pleased with it. And then I have several thank you notes to write, so I will make some simple little cards. That should keep me busy for a while.

Toby and I have also been trying to build frames. Back in June I ordered frames from my usual company, Art to Frames, but have not heard from them since. I called and called and left lots of messages. Finally in late July, I left the message to cancel my order. If they had just returned my calls or emails, I could have cut them some slack. But they have been totally absent like they are closed or don't care about my business. Oh well. Building frames is difficult, but hopefully we will get better at it. I can always use standard sized frames and buy them cheaply at Hobby Lobby or some place similar. Sometimes, I need odd sized frames, and that is why we need to get better at making our own. Maybe it will be part of our retirement work :)

Toby and I also have done lots of work on the pottery room in the barn. It is coming along.  The weather has been cool for the first week of August and has allowed us to work in the barn more. We also did some pottery. This is also part of our retirement work. I like the idea of doing what you like best in retirement.

The grandboys were over last Saturday. At one point, we sat down to paint. Mr T said, "Booboo, there is a bug in the window!" Sure enough there was some sort of wasp buzzing around in the window. I said that I didn't think he would bother us and we would just leave him alone since I did not have anything to kill him with. Mr T said, "You mean like a fly-swatter?!" I said yes, and with that he ran into the other room and came back with the fly-swatter. Although I took careful aim and hit the wasp, it fell down behind the table before I could get a good mash on it. 
Me: Oh no, the bug fell behind the table.
Mr T: Is it dead?
Me: I don't think so.
Mr T: Well, at least he knows you have the fly-swatter!

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Sounds like you are going to be really busy painting! Good job with the month of watercolors.

Your grandson made me laugh. Kids are so neat.

Did you put an ac in the pottery barn? It will be nice to have a dedicated spot for your pottery.

Frames are a pain. Gene always did my framing but we don’t use mats for the pastels and I buy ready made frames. He has made a few but that was a long time ago.