Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Rocks and Hard Places

Dieting has been a part of my life for so long now, it is difficult to remember when it wasn't. There have been lots of times when I was highly successful at a diet only to fall back into old patterns and gain weight back. This last diet, called the Natural Slim Diet, was great. Although through different happenings, I gained my weight back, it was a good diet. So, why can't I do it again? It's so frustrating. 

My mom was a naturally slim person, but my dad stayed fairly slim practicing what he called "push-aways" or push away from the table. Unfortunately, he also was a demander of the "clean-plate rule." It was confusing. In a way, he was not wrong. We kids were expected to try everything Mom put on the table and eat everything we put on our plate. I just wish we had learned not to put very much of anything on our plates. This is the NS diet plan - eat whatever you want, but just not very much of it. It is the "very much of it" that I have trouble with.

Yesterday I painted with my friend, Barb. You know how I love to paint with her.  She always has something new that she has been trying. She takes lots of online art classes and does very well with them.  We go up to her studio and talk and laugh and paint. Lately, she has been showing me some of the new watercolor techniques that she has learned. And Barb always makes us a good healthy lunch - usually a salad of some sort.  Sometimes her husband comes home from work and we all eat together. Yesterday, she did not make us a salad, but she had homemade tomato soup. That sounded fairly good, although I'm not a big soup fan. She heated up the soup while I visited with her husband. When she called us to the table, she had made big grilled cheese (brie) sandwiches. Wow, they looked great, but not exactly on my diet. Then she said, "I'm on a diet, so I'm not having a sandwich. I'm having chicken salad." She went on to talk about how a low carb diet has been great for her and she has lots some weight and just has a few more pounds to lose. Then she said that 137 was a bit heavy for her. 137! My big toe weighs 137! Geeze Louise! Do I look like I need a grilled cheese sandwich rather than chicken salad? I didn't say anything. I remembered my dad giving me a spanking for not eating what the neighbors were serving , and they were serving soup. So later I didn't have any supper. 

Barb is working on classes about color. She has more paints and brushes than me. Dang it. Actually it makes it fun to go there and try her different colors of paint. Yesterday we decided to paint from photos of her recent trip to Maine. It is a beautiful place. Rocks and water are the two most difficult things for me, but I gave it a try. I need to do a bit more work on this for it to be finished, but here is my painting: 


5 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

We feel your pain. Gene was told to lose his tummy. He cut out sugar for a week. He loves cookies and eats 5 when he could get by with one. Anyway after the week he had gained 3 pounds. He did well over all, I helped lower other carbs. Jeeesh is right. Wishing you the best. I have it in my head that I need something to chew. I can eat a whole watermelon and still feel hungry or even drink a milkshake, same feeling. Habit in my head I guess. Chewing carrots doesn’t help. Ha.

Oooooh, I love the painting. Gorgeous as is. Wow!

Etienne said...

The latest information is something called carb cycling. The trick is not to let your body find out you are dieting. The body has a hair trigger that if it thinks it is starving, then it kicks in and overrides your plan.

So the theory is, to eat carbs on one day, and eat fats on the next day. Good fats. Fish, nuts, etc.

I'm not an expert but lots of web pages on carb cycling.

My mother made me clean my plate, and started to cry if I didn't appreciate her cooking all day. Then when I was finished and walked into the living room, where my brothers all laughed at me being such a mamma's boy, my mother would say: "Jeez, you are getting fat!"

Good thing I didn't have my .357 Magnum back then. BANG!

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
Thanks on the painting comment. Have you seen the Brenda Gantt cooking videos? She does biscuits in an old-timey way. I've been trying to do the same recipe. My biscuits are not quite like hers, but they are good enough to eat. Maybe I should watch a diet food video :)

Etienne,
I have learned that all diets will work - if you do them. There in is my biggest problem. My mom always gave me a difficult time about my weight.
Being a tall, skinny person, she didn't understand short and fat. Once, she made a huge bread pudding with lemon glaze icing. When I told her I was on a diet and couldn't have any, she harassed me over not eating her pudding.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should get Invisalign! Ha ha just joking. I got it and I am supposed to wear them 22 hours a day. So that leaves two hours to brush my teeth sip coffee and eat! By the way, I don;t think I am achieving my goal.

Eight years ago, I lost about 25 pounds, over the course of a year. All I could think of was my next meal. Then I went to Italy and pizza was the cheapest option. After over a month of eating pizza, I started gaining it back!

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
I had Invisalign years ago, and it was a good deterrent for eating. I did get where I would drink my coffee or whatever while wearing them. I figured if I were getting new ones every two weeks, it didn't matter too much.