Friday, November 26, 2021

Art Battle Outcome

 Once again, it has been a while. I'll try to fill you in on what has been happening in my life little bits at a time.

After the Inktober, I got serious about getting ready for my Art Battle on November 13th. I had been painting lots of different scenes trying to see what would work as a painting that could be painted in 20 minutes. I paint pretty fast anyway, but I had to find something that was pleasing to a varied crowd (the young and hip as well as the old and established) something that would stand out from the stage, be simple enough to do in 20 minutes, and look like it was finished. It is actually tougher than you would think to come up with something - two things, actually - in case I made it to the final round.  Jesse and I had a discussion about art and the Battle. I told her that I wanted to paint something that would show that I was an artist - that I knew what I was doing. But in order to win at the Art Battle, I needed to be more simple - crafty. It is a difficult balance. Do you want to win, or do you want to look like a good artist? They are not necessarily the same. I chose wanting to win or at least get to the final round.

I painted lots of landscapes and old buildings, but my critic, Jesse, didn't think they were "it" - not enough pizazz. Finally, I came up with this cactus.


. Then I worked to come up with this second painting of poinsettias.

People ask me if I get nervous about painting in front of people. I don't really or at least I didn't think I did. But there is a bit of adrenaline that kicks in and causes me to freak just a bit on finer lines of the painting.  When painting the needles on the cactus, I noticed my hand shaking a bit - a weird feeling.  The venue was different than it had been in the past. The artists were more crowded on the stage and closer to the ceiling and the lights. The people walking around the stage seemed closer too. I could feel sweat pouring off my face this time. 

So, all that work and I did not make it to the final round and did not get to paint my poinsettias. It makes me feel good that all my friends and family said they voted for me and that my painting was the best. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe the other artists had more family and friends. Maybe the voting was wonky - the voting app seemed to be a bit screwy. Whatever happened, it was over for me. And that is not a bad thang.  I am ready for some more serious art. Well, maybe I will do my little Christmas watercolors. 

5 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Lou, both paintings are so great and I think the cactus blooms showed well on the screen. The app for the Battle is not very good. We had a hard time voting and bidding. I hope you had fun with the family there cheering you on. I liked your painting best.

Looking forward to seeing your watercolor cards. I ordered our Christmas card calendars. I almost missed the sale. Pretty expensive this year, well, every year. Usually I sell some paintings and use the calendars as advertising, but not the last two years. I haven’t had my business sales tax open. If they sell at the Art Center they collect and report the tax. Hopefully the calendars will get here by Thursday and I will get them mailed by Valentines!

We are lazy after Thanksgiving mode. I have to get paintings ready for the art center by Wednesday. Always tomorrow…..

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Jo, you are one of those friends that make me feel better. I have a commission painting to do before I get started on my Christmas cards. That means you may get a card for New Years! ha! Toby and I were pretty lazy for the weekend after Thanksgiving. We had a lot of leftover pie and turkey needed to be eaten. That sort of thing makes you need a nap.

Etienne said...

My mother used to collect recipes all her life and had a scrapbook. But after awhile she no longer posted them, and started just jamming them into the book. She was very secretive about the whole thing.

When I tried to spy how she made the bean salad, I was shoo'd out of the kitchen. She hinted: "the back label of vinegar has the best recipes."

Anyway, every year she made a turkey for Thanksgiving with a bone-in Ham. Then for Christmas another Turkey with Baked beans using the Ham bone.

I had to go shopping with her for the Ham, and it was a military operation.

She was the only person I know of to use the assistance button at Albertson's. The butcher would know right away he was dealing with a serious woman on a mission.

He would produce the best Ham he had, and she would inspect it thoroughly. Then at checkout she would pull out obscure coupons and get the thing for pennies on the dollar. Surprising even the cashier, who was on a first name basis.

I met the cashier years later and introduced myself. I know who you are she said. Your the kid who picked up cartons of Lucky Strikes for your mother, and helped her rob the Meat department with coupons from out of state. Then we laughed hysterically.

My brother passed-away back in August at the ripe old age of 65. The autopsy said his arteries were packed solid. Turkey and Ham, I'm sure. I have updated my will, as I'm 67...

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Eat hearty! Take naps!

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
I have been reading murder mystery books by Louise Penny that take place in Montreal, Quebec. The French phrases in the book remind me of you. It is a new perspective for me to read about the French and English differences there.

Etienne said...

One of our neighbors growing up was a Protestant pastor, and I sometimes made the mistake of calling him "Father." His daughter was my age and she said he liked to tell everyone at dinner, that I called him "Father" again. The joke being I didn't know who my father was, but they knew it was just a Catholic habit.

Every year though, he paid my way to summer camp, because he knew I was always getting in trouble with too much free time. If he could just save one from reform school... My dad said we couldn't accept charity, so I had to turn their flower beds and clip along the fence line. Thanks Dad... Not!

I looked up his daughters name recently, and she lives on a big yacht. Enjoying retirement in style. Me, I'm still getting into trouble.