Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Old Times

One of the best things about blogging is that you can go back to last year's blogs and see what you were doing and where you were in your life. I did that this morning. There were lots of things that I had forgotten. It was this time last year that we were stuccoing the house. Dad was still going to coffee every day although he was getting very weak and falling more. My friend Barbara C. died last October as did another lady from our church, Debra F. Many of the same things that we were doing last year at this time, we are doing again this year. We are getting excited and starting to plan our fall camping trip to the Wichita Mountains which our church does every year. Yesterday, my cousin called to start planning a big Thanksgiving which we do every year - my family likes to have big parties. Last year I blogged about the art show, but I was much busier last year with working on the house and helping with Dad. The Grand Baby was beginning to really entertain us at this time last year - she just gets better at it every day. Some things are very much the same, but times do change. I thought I would share one of last year's blogs. It just so happens that one year ago today I wrote about Jesse - imagine that! Here is one of my favorite Jesse stories:

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Boys
Jesse says that some day when she is married, she wants to have all boys. They just seem more fun to her than girls. I tell her that although I think boys are easier, girls can be fun too. After all, I had her didn’t I? Her friend, Lila, has three boys, and her friend, Cene, has two boys. She enjoys being around them and helping out with them. She likes spending time with her male cousins too. She likes the way boys dress and the way they act. Of course, she likes her niece just pretty well. Lizzie is cool. Jesse has taught her to bump fist rather than high-fives. When Lizzie holds her little fist out to be bumped, it is just pretty great. Jesse enjoys making Lizzie clothes too. This summer she made them matching skirts and has a plan to make some fall clothes. But still, it is boys that Jesse wants. She says she will name them Gustavo, Gaston, Gunner, and some other G name that I can’t recall. She will call them Gus, Gas, Gun, and Goose. I told her that would be great; I could just holler, "GGGGGet over here" and they would all come running.Last week while shopping at Wal Mart, I found some rubber boots (farm boots) for Lizzie. They look just like Jesse’s mud boots. Because they were ten dollars, I was unsure of spending that much money on shoes for her to wear around the farm. I called Toby at work to get his opinion. I told him that the boots would last through all the grandchildren. He said to buy them, "Gosh, Golly, and Good Grief would all use them someday."Lizzie wore them all day Sunday under her little dress. She looked really cute – like a little Dutch girl. She played in the dirt and rocks and had a big time wearing her new boots. When they got ready to go home, we took the boots off, and her little feet were stinky. Who needs boys when girls can get just as dirty?

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Yes, grand-girls are lots of fun. Someday, it will be nice to have a grand-boy, too. In the meantime, I will just enjoy my girls.

Anonymous said...

Funny about the names, too. When my sister was about 12, she decided she was going to have twin girls and name them either Mimi and DeeDee or DeeDee and KayKay. Now she is expecting her third son. This will be my mother's 6th grandson (though one died at 2 months old). Not a grand-girl in the bunch.