Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pirate Books

I had lunch with Toby yesterday. He said he had been needing a good pirate book - maybe he would finish "Captain from Castile". I said that I had been needing a cheap romance. Toby grinned and said he would be my pirate. Does that make me a cheap romance?

On a different note, this morning I received an email from my Uncle Bob. His email was a forward from my cousin (his niece). I thought it worth sharing with you since it had to do with Ret. Gen. Hal Moore. Many of you know how much I admire Gen. Moore and my Uncle Bob. Here it is:

Dear Family,
This e-mail is an from Barbara who met General Moore when he spoke to her students at Granbury High School. Most of you know I worked for General Moore in Vietnam and when we were training at Ft. Benning. He was a lieutenant colonel and colonel back in those days some 42+ years ago.
___________________________________________________________________
In a message dated 10/10/2006 2:10:55 PM Central Standard Time,

Last Thursday, I had the privilege of meeting Gen. Moore when he spoke to the Granbury HS student body. At 84 he was an amazing speaker who kept the attention of 1300 students for approximately 70 minutes. I have never seen high school students behave so well as he shared his stories and philosophies about life, etc. The history department had been trying to get him to speak here for the last two years and since he does very little public speaking now, everyone was very excited - including his grandson who is a senior and had never heard him speak publicly before!When I introduced myself, I told him I had heard a lot about him from my uncle. He asked who my uncle was. When I told him, he smiled from ear to ear and said, "one of my favorite people." The school secretary was sitting with him and asked him why, he grinned again and of course said, "he was one of my artillery men-the best."It was a tremendous time at GHS and another moment in history for us all as we later learned this could have very well been one of his last public speeches if not the last for his grandson.Hope this email finds everyone well. Love to all, Barbara

No comments: