Friday, October 13, 2006

Painting of the Week



Here is my painting of the week. I started a large watercolor earlier in the week and planned on working on it yesterday during my art class, but ten girls showed up. There was just no room to keep my stuff out on the table. I love having that many girls here, but it was a bit crowded for me to work too. As some of the girls left around 4:00, I got out my little watercolor cards and painted this little picture which is about 4"x6". Unless I have something larger going, most of my Paintings of the Week have been this size. You are probably wondering what I am going to do with these little paintings. Well, I could paper the bathroom with them. Maybe I could start a mini-gallery, but I think I will send them out as Christmas cards. If anyone wants one for Christmas, send me your snail/mail address. If you want a particular one, let me know.

I am headed to WF today. My baby sister is there today, and we should have a big time. I am hoping to do some shopping and have lunch with her. She always brings lots of joy with her. I have not seen Mom in a few weeks since she has been traveling about the West. We have lots to catch up on.

Yesterday, I posted a little blurb about Ret. Gen. Hal Moore. Today, I happened to come across a post at OPFOR which had a link to an article written by Joe Galloway. Joe is an excellent writer and always interesting. You might want to read his article which I think comes through Michel Yon's blog. Link, link, link - I love blogging.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Galloway was Gen. Moore's co-author until I read his bio on Wikipedia. That said, and given Galloway's history (three UPI tours in Viet Nam), one must respect the guy's street cred.

However...I got the distinct feeling after I finished reading Galloway's article that he and those generals he chose to quote are certainly no fans of Dubya, Cheney, or Rumsfeld. There wasn't much, if any, of an opposing view...it was all gloom and doom based on the "ineptness" of the current administration. I'll not belabor the point, but most of the suggested alternatives to our current strategy read like talking points from the Democrats' play-book. And a lot of the alternatives are already in-progress, but apparently aren't proceeding or succeeding fast enough for Zinni, et al.

Just sayin'!

On another subject entirely...if, after you satisfy family and friends requests for your small paintings, you happen to have one left over I'd be most honored to accept it!

Bag Blog said...

You made some good points, Buck. Sometimes, in my idol worship, I find my self saying, "but this is Joe Galloway - he is a smart guy that has been around a few wars." Yet, I too, thought that the article was doom and gloom and that "those generals he chose to quote are certainly no fans of Dubya, Cheney, or Rumsfeld." I was wondering if it was just me, or if the article seemed pretty negative toward current administration. I could not copy and paste from the article, but under the first point, Review American Military Options, it is said that none of the generals thought we should call for an immediate pull out, some said more troops were needed, but Wilkerson said, "Let GIs on the ground continue to do what they have been doing recently..." It seems that he is saying that we have to give the military a chance to do what they do best - fight smart. Yet it also seems to me that the military is hampered by election time issues and squabbling by the Dems, Reps, and armchair generals.

I am glad you read the article and put in your two cents (actually worth more than that). Your comments were reasuring that I was reading the article correctly. Maybe I wanted Joe to say something else. Maybe I was a little disappointed in Joe.

Bag Blog said...

PS
Buck, there will certainly be a small painting with your name on it.