Friday, October 02, 2009

Dictator

The weather was warm yesterday with a strong south wind whipping over the Oklahoma prairie. It gave me a sinus headache. Later in the day the wind shifted from the north and was much more pleasant cooling things off for a perfect afternoon.

The Duncan Art Guild had a board meeting (why do they spell it "board" when it should be "bored") yesterday evening. Because I am the "art show coordinator", I had to attend. We have the upcoming fall show in November, and things have hit a big snag. Last year I reserved the room, where we have the art show, for the next year. A few days ago, I happened to discover that the room is no longer available. The hospital sold the building - yadda, yadda, yadda. I have to say that the hospital has been very good to us and has tried to relocate us somewhere on their campus, but the available space is not adequate for our show. You can’t be mad at someone when they have provided free space. Anyway, I have been all over town looking for a space that is big enough, and cheap enough. I have several irons in the fire, but we will see which one works out. I don’t mind all of the hassle, but I did dread dealing with the board members last night. Dealing with the board is like working on a committee. Everyone has to talk it to death. After all the talk, I’m still where I was – looking for a space. Now I just have all sorts of opinions as to what everyone thinks about the spaces I have looked at. One board member actually said, "I move that Lou look for a new place." Duh! When I mentioned that we did not need to vote on that, someone said, "Well go ahead and look around and then come back to us and we will decide…" I told them that we didn’t have time for all that crap; they would just have to trust my decision. Actually, I will search for new places and I will check with the president of our group before making a decision. But there is no way, I’m going to try and get all the board member’s approval. If you put me in charge, then let me do my job and trust me.

What is that old line – it is easier to get forgiveness than to get permission? I would have been a great dictator.

Jesse has posted a few photos from France.

4 comments:

Buck said...

...it is easier to get forgiveness than to get permission?

Yup. ALWAYS. The catch is you have to be willing to accept the consequences if forgiveness ain't forthcoming. I've been there a couple o' times and it wasn't pretty. But I lived, strangely enough. :D

Becky G said...

Good luck finding a new place. Dealing with a committee is always frustrating!

GUYK said...

Hi Lou. We are in Port LavacaTexas and if everything goes as planned will be on Lake Waurika by this time next week. Sure hope to see you while we are there

Jo Castillo said...

We love your style here in our house. Heh, heh. You are so right about boards and meetings. I am so anxious to be off the board for the APS. I have until next June....the time is crawling.