Monday, February 14, 2011

Mixed Bag

The weekend was a mixed bag of happenings and emotions. We kept the GGs Friday night and all day Saturday. They were quite funny, and I have lots of good stories and photos to share. On the other hand, we were worn out when we gave them back to their parent’s late Saturday night. Sunday was a beautiful day, but we had to fix another water leak. That meant lots of diggin’ and doin’ and I am very sore this morning.

We also got word Sunday morning that my very good friend Bill Addison died. It was only a month ago that we heard Billy had cancer. It all went so very fast. Why did I think that I had lots of time to contact him? Why did I not call him during the past month?

My dad and Billy’s dad had been friends since childhood. Billy and I were raised more like cousins than friends. In fact, I called his parents "Uncle Gene and Aunt Dottie," because we were so close. Back in August I told a story on Billy. He sent me an email with more details to the story. At that time I wrote this line, Dad loved Billy like he was one of his own and he treated him as such. That pretty much sums up how I felt about Billy, too. Except I need to mention that Billy had this twinkle in his eyes and great grin – not just a smile, but a huge grin – one that made you think he had been up to no-good, which was probably true. He had a great laugh, too, but then all the Addisons had great senses of humor and big laughs That is how I will always think of Billy – laughing.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Ah jees Lou, I'm sorry to hear that. It's never easy to lose a friend, but know what? Perhaps going fast was the best for him.

Buck said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Lou. My condolences.

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, so sorry for you. Thinking of you.