Monday, June 10, 2013

Where Have I Been

It was a busy weekend. On Thursday afternoon, I drove to WF and spent the night with Mom so that we could get up at the crack of dawn and head to Amarillo for my niece's graduation luncheon and that night for her commencement exercise. Here is a picture of me and my niece when she was about a year old.
Here we are 18 years later. Since my picture of us was a bit dark, you can see how beautiful she is here with her mother (my baby sister).  

The graduation ceremony was very nice, but a bit long. It was after 10 PM before we got to the party -  after the ceremony. It was also about that time that Amarillo got a big thunderstorm. It was after 11 before Mom and I headed back to the hotel. We had a bit of a fight on the way back to the hotel over her giving me driving instructions (we fight about this often). I told Mom that she was being an "Aunt Mildred" by telling me how to drive and where to turn, etc. Yep, it made her mad. When we got to the hotel, I drove to the back door (closest to the elevator and room) and gave Mom the key. I told her she needed the key to get in the door and I would park and be right in. She hopped out of the car with the umbrella and the key while I waited and then I parked a few spaces down. By the time I got to the back door of the hotel, Mom was long gone. I stood there in the rain looking in the back door thinking, "Really?!"  I wondered if she were mad enough to do this on purpose. I also thought that maybe she had misunderstood and thought I was going to park around front and come in the main doors. And really, what else could I do at that point. I certainly could not get in the back door.  So, I drove around to find that there were no parking spots in front of the hotel. I had to park on the side of the building and run down the sidewalk in the rain to the front doors. When I got in and was headed to the room, I ran into Mom. She said, "I locked you out." like I didn't already know that. "Yep, you did." was about all I could say at that point. The term "mad as a wet hen" fit me perfectly.  Then Mom said, "Well, I went back down, but you weren't there." as if it were all my fault. I still couldn't talk. Had she expect me to stand outside in the rain and hope that she came back to let me in? By the time we got back to the room, I was a bit better. And by the next morning we were able to laugh about it. That was not our only adventure, but it was the best one -  worth sharing. 

Now it is back to WF today to take Mom to a doctor appointment. Hopefully I can catch up on my blog reading soon. 

5 comments:

Buck said...

Your niece is stunning. And so are you and your sister. You have great genes in your family, Lou.

I'd have been pretty pissed about bein' locked out in the rain, too. From what I saw on the radar (we get Amarillo teevee here in P-Ville) that was some HEAVY rain.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Buck. You always say just the right thang. As to the rain, it did pour down for a while. I waited for it to slow a bit before getting Mom out in it, so it was not so bad. Still, it was enough to make me run for it.

Stefan said...

While your niece is very beautiful (and pinchable), I'm sorry, but I'm still looking for a millionaire lady who wants to spoil an old man who gets up after 11am for golf at noon...

Stefan said...

P.S. I'd kick your mothers ...

Bag Blog said...

My niece is beautiful, but she is not rich nor does she play golf. In fact, I think you may be out of luck. I might could find you someone who has money or who plays golf, but not both.