Monday, January 02, 2017

New Year 2017

Toby and I spent a quiet New Year Eve doing the same old thang we always do - checking on the mom's. Toby's mom was actually in the hospital in Electra, so we drove there first. That mom was doing well. It seems her arthritis had kicked in and caused her not to be able to get out of bed or walk. The ambulance was called to take her to the hospital. The good news is that steroids and pain medicine was all that it took to set her to rights. The bad news, well, anytime an ambulance and hospital are involved things are not good. Anyway, we spent the day with her and the Sisters (Toby's). It was a nice visit.

When we left there, we headed to WF to check on my mom. She had other plans for the day - like going to a MSU basketball game and then going home to watch basketball (or was it football) on TV.  Thanks to her boyfriend who takes her dancing, out to eat, and to different sports events, she stays pretty busy.  I do love the man for his help with Mom.

Last summer, I canceled Mom's Direct TV sports package, because she does not watch any TV these days, and her bill is quite expensive. At that time she had broken up with her boyfriend and there was no reason to have the sports package or all the movie stuff on her Direct TV. She didn't notice the change in plan. Now, since she is back with the boyfriend, he wants to watch sports at her house. Great. She called the other day to say she had turned her sports package back on and not to mess with her TV again. She told me that she likes to watch football! Sure thang, Mom. Whatever. Why are you just now noticing this change? And who turned it back on for you? The boyfriend, God bless him.

Since Mom was busy, we came on home and got a few things done around here. By 7:00 PM, we were in our recliners reading. I was playing Words with Friends with one of my local buddies. She sent me a message that several couples were playing games at a mutual friends house and why was I not there. Good question.  The decision to go was based on New Year resolutions to be more sociable.  So we went.  It was fun. I played some game called Train, where you build trains across a map of the USA. It was a game of strategy. I won, but I don't think it is my game.

New Year Day, we cooked and ate our black-eyed peas and hung out here at the house. We hiked through the woods planning the new fence. We took a nap. We discussed our resolutions. Mine are the usual - more art, less weight, more friend-time, less procrastination. Although I did not do great on my weight last year, I did do more art. Now I need to market it better and put myself out there more. I do love beginnings - new starts. I always have hope that things will improve. Maybe it doesn't really matter. I do love life no matter what. I just wish I was loving life thinner :)


6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Sounds like not too bad of a New Year start. We have been dog sitting the grand-dogs this weekend. Enhances my resolve not to have animals again. Cleaning after them, feeding and sleeping. We had a thunderstorm and Nala, the bigger dog fell out of bed when she kept scooting me over. Ha. I got the sports package on Thanksgiving to be able to have the games while the kids were here. About $35 just for that as we had a basic package and you have to upgrade to get the sports. Longhorn channel which is supposed to be free requires a sports channel, too. Directv wins and we lose. Interesting note is that the Hallmark Movie Channel is in the basic package but goes away in the next package up. I like their silly mystery movies. Can’t have everything I guess. Spoiled as we are……
Luckily we don’t do black-eyed peas, don’t care for them. Guess our thing is posole.

Bag Blog said...

Jo, it was a pretty good beginning. Mom pays about $150 for her TV.
With the sports package, that goes up. For someone who does not watch TV, that is a lot of money.

Posole sounds good. What is your recipe? :)

joeh said...

I hope my kids will look after me as well as you do your moms, but they better stay away from my sports package!

Bag Blog said...

Joeh, If you are buying, I'm sure your kids will join in.

demo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo Castillo said...

Does this silence bode of retirement from blogging or just a vacation? I miss your stories….. :(