Monday, August 20, 2018

Summer of Stress

The summer has been stressful to Toby.  Halliburton is out-sourcing his department and sending it to India. Of course, they give big bonuses to those who stay through the change and then big severance packages.  Still, people jump ship quick enough.  Toby has been hanging in there. The stress comes from wondering what we will do next. Being of an age close to retirement, but not quite there yet, he kind of needs to work. Insurance is a biggy at our age, too.  Our thoughts had been on sticking with H until the change over, taking the severance and bonuses, and making due or possibly finding some other sort of work and finding some sort of cheap insurance - all of which is stressful enough. But then there was the stress of staying due to the amount of work caused by the change over. In the midst of all of this, his bosses have been wanting to keep him somewhere within H. and have been looking for him another job here in Duncan. More thoughts, more decisions.

My part in all of this: I've been trying to be supportive in whatever Toby wants to do.  He has worked hard for us through the years and has made a good living.  He has more than put in his time as provider for us, while I have been holding down the home front and playing with my art.  At this point in our lives, whatever he wants to do is just okay with me. I want him to be happy.

So last week when he said, "I don't think I can do this much longer. Don't be surprised if I come home and have quit my job." I answered, "Whatever, honey." The very next day, he came in and said, "I accepted the manufacturing job at Halliburton." Knock me over with a feather!

And so, today starts a new era in our lives.  Toby has gone to work in manufacturing - doing something new - not accounting.  He has been concerned about learning new stuff and new people. But this man is a farm boy, not just some desk jockey. He can fix anything and do most anything.  He ran a trash company in New Mexico and southern CO dealing with trucks, drivers, mechanics, accountants, bosses, city and county governments, etc. He can do this!

I'd like to wish him the best today and thank him for taking good care of me and our family. I know he will ace this, but if he decides that it is not for him at some point, that will be okay too. Maybe we will get an RV and hit the road.

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

That sounds like a good plan. The change may be just what Toby needs. We are rootin' for him.

bag blog said...

Thanks, Jo. His first day was busy with meetings and safety classes, but he liked it.

John said...

Thanks for the update Lou and please give Toby our utmost support in his new job. I've always marveled at how Toby can "fix anything" through your blogs. If Toby wanted to start his own "Handyman" business, he could make some good change as he is so good at repairing or fixing anything around the house. Heck, both of you guys built a freakin' home. Not many people can do that for sure. In any event, I hope this new job works out well for him. I can say though, that retirement is great up here in CO. I always have things to do with the new house etc., and we're taking small day trips right now until we get settled. So if Toby wants to retire in the near future, our hope is that he (and you) will relish and enjoy it! Hope to see you guys soon! Take care! P.S. I also can't believe it's been a year since your Mom passed. So many good memories of your folks!

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, John. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement. We have thought about a handy-man type job for Toby after retirement. Of course, he has enough to do around the farm.

It certainly doesn't seem like a year since Mom died. It seems like yesterday.

Etienne said...

Sadly, I've been trying to downsize. I sold my 5 acres and barn, but as I put my stuff on Craigslist and have garage sales, I'm finding no one wants my stuff for even 10 cents on the dollar.

So I've found a dumpster on the Air Base that isn't guarded, and I've been sneaking stuff into it once a week. But it's taking too long. I've decided to crate a bunch of stuff up and sell it as a mystery crate!

Sort of like Amazon sells customer returns by the crate. I was hoping to have the house empty by April and on the market by July, as it needs a furnace and a little bathroom updates. I haven't even started!

My plan is to buy a Class-C RV and tow my little Spark car behind it. Then head for Idaho and Montana. It should take me about 5 years of that before I get bored, and they put me in an old folks home.

Best wishes!

bag blog said...

Etienne, I think about downsizing, but it is too hot. August is not a good time for those kinds of decisions. I would like to run away in an RV, though. Maybe someday.