Friday, September 14, 2018

French-cheesy

It looks like I will be going to France in October for about a week. I am so excited.  My brother  and sister-in-law are there for the fall semester. This will be their last time to teach in France, since my SIL is retiring soon. Because they already have an apartment and know their way around the area, it is the perfect time to go and see the countryside.  Jesse has been over to see them in years past, but it has not worked out for us to go. But now is the time!

Five years ago, I was able to spend a week or so in Paris with my cousins and Jesse.  This time we will be in the Angers, France. We will get to see the country, although we do plan a day or two in Paris.  I speak no French. And there is no way I can get this Texas Twang accent wrapped around the French language. I will do my best, but will let my family do most of the talking. I will point and nod. Yeah right!

Years ago when we spent some time in Italy, we were in a small fishing village on the Adriatic Sea.  The village folk did not speak English, but they were very friendly and wanted to visit with us. Because the previous renter of the house where Halliburton put us up was French, the village people thought we were French too. I thought that was very funny. They would try to talk to us and usually asked, "French-cheesy?" We would answer, "No. Okie."

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

That is so nice. Always more fun with guides! I’m excited for you, too.

Etienne said...

An acquaintance of mine is moving to Azay-le-Ferron which is east of Angers (SE of Tours). He's retiring, and is from the UK. He is having fun taking the chunnel back and forth moving his stuff.

His French is not all that good, but the fact that he bought a 100 year old home, and is working on the garden, has endeared him to the village.

I'm a terrible tourist. Paris to me would be like going to Detroit, pfft...

Set me up on a park bench with some peanuts, and come and get me when the sun goes down, and I'm a happy camper.

Bag Blog said...

Jo, Guides are a good thing for sure. I hate to be a total tourist, but hey, it is what it is.

Et

Bag Blog said...

Etienne
We love to watch the movie, A Good Year, because it is about someone inheriting an old home in France with a vineyard, etc. Very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

A year ago today I was in Gorizia in Friuli Venezia-Giulia having the time of my life with US and British veterans and their families who had been stationed there post-war. The Italian cultural group who hosted us was so wonderful. Though I have been to Italy before, that trip was remarkable. I forgot, what was the name of the town you were at on the Adriatic? Oh well, have a great time!

FF

bag blog said...

We stayed in a small town called San Vito. Italians are friendly folk. I read a book called "The Wedding Officer" about an English Officer stationed in Naples after WWII. It was fiction, but a fun read.