Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Post Labor Day

My friend, Robin Egg, told me that sometimes I forget to tell her things when we are together and she has to read my blog to find out what is happening in my life. What can I say? I think that when I am visiting with someone live and in person, there is lots of talking and I have to concentrate on what is being said around me. That means my brain is focused on the discussion on hand and often forgets what I meant to say. I do know that I often interrupt people while talking or jump to another subject, because as my brain kicks in, that is when I need to say it or lose it.

Last week I dropped by the alternative school, The Edge, where hopefully I will teach. The art room was great with everything I need or want. The principal/person in charge was great too. Very friendly and helpful and on track with all that I am thinking.  The principal of the high school, hmm, well, he was a nice guy, but not too very interested in me or what we are trying to do with art and the Edge. He said that the job needed to be posted, I needed to apply for it, etc. Maybe he will get around to posting it....sigh.

Jesse and I went to the Lake Texoma last week. Our friends with the cabin on the Okie side of the lake invited us and Lindz and her mom. We had a really nice time. We drank coffee on the deck, we played games, we took a boat ride and swam, but mostly we just visited and enjoyed our little vacation.

Labor Day weekend started off with the usual hot of the summer.  Then on Sunday we got a little thunderstorm in the afternoon. The thunderstorm knocked out our electricity for several hours. When it came back on, the air conditioner did not work. Great. At least it was fairly cool after the storm.  Monday morning was cool and breezy. I spent several hours in the barn throwing pots. I invited Frank and Robin Egg over to throw pots too.  They stayed for lunch - leftover pizza, and Frank helped Toby put two little window units in the house windows to keep us cool until the air conditioner guys can come. It started raining soon after the units were installed and kept the day cool. The window units worked great, especially with the cooler weather.  This morning (Tuesday) it is still raining.  I have ten jillion things to do today. I love the rain, but I am hoping it lets up a bit so I can get out and about without getting soaked.

I wrote down some goals for myself while sitting around over Labor Day eating bon-bons. I read an article in Watercolor Magazine on breaking through creative blocks. I don't think I have creative block right now, but I do have serious lazy butt. One of the things said by an artist was that she decided to be a serious artist and forced herself to paint two hours every day. Another artist said he goes to his studio at specific time and works there every day. Duh. I knew that, but I don't do it. So, I wrote it down as one of my goals.

Another goal is to lose another ten pounds. I have lost 25, but have been on a plateau since July. The good news is that I have lost a pound or two and have not gained back weight.  One of the quotes from the Natural Slim lady (videos I listen to) said that the difference between maintaining and losing weight can be a few bites. Also she encourages you to walk.  How hard can that be. Stop eating and leave a few bites and walk - not kill yourself at the gym - but walk.  Surely I can do this. Maybe not in the rain today...maybe not in the heat...sigh.

Well, it is a new month and a new start.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am smiling!!!

Jo Castillo said...

I’m smiling, too. Enjoyed the read.

I hope you keep your goals. You inspired me work on my “sloth-y-ness”.

I can’t imagine waiting on the teaching job. Crazy…..

Etienne said...

I don't know if your air is fixed yet, but I had that happen once, and the storm took out one of the two circuit breakers by the outside compressor.

I didn't know what the problem was, so just as a hail Mary I reset them both. The second one shot a spark out. Woh!

Anyway, I bought two new 50 amp breakers and boy they weren't cheap, but solved the problem.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
The teaching thing got even more complicated today. The Duncan schools are making me crazy. I will try to comply a little bit more, then, I may be done. If they want me, they need to try a bit harder.

Etienne,
The air conditioning is still out. It is the compressor. Call Lawton, is it under warranty? yada, yada.

Jo Castillo said...

Hope the teaching thing gets cleared up, you are a great teacher.

Hopefully the worst of the heat is over.....

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Jo. Hopefully I will know on the teaching thang soon. And hopefully the worst of the heat is over. It has been overcast and wet this week, which is good. It makes my hair wild, but I'm not complaining.

Etienne said...

I was thinking that both you and your husband should look into teaching at a Vo-Tech.

I don't know if there is one nearby, but all you need is a college degree I think. I don't even know that you need to be certified.

Just thinking, because a friend teaches computer networking, and I think he has a Masters in something completely irrelevant.

They pay you after the semester I think. Some weird pay schedule.

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
We do have a vo-tech. I even know the guy who is over it. My husband recently got a new job with Halliburton, so he is set. For now, I would just like to teach this one little class.