Saturday, March 14, 2020

Birthday Wonders

Yesterday my lady friends from church had a little birthday lunch for three of us ladies with birthdays in March.  The weather turned from being in the 70s one day to dang cold the next. It was still fun to get together with the ladies. Throughout the week, I have gotten several little gifts from friends. I'm always awed by this.  I don't do birthdays and gifts very well. Even growing up, my parents were doing good to remember our birthdays and gifts were often an after thought. My own siblings do well to call on a birthday, but cards and presents are not usually included.  So, to get presents from people I only see at church is odd, but humbling.  Usually, though, those gifts are from my closer friends, and I do occasionally get them something. This year, I got a couple of extra little gifts from friends, who I don't usually exchange gifts with. It was really sweet of them, and I was very awed and humbled. I mean, these ladies took time to think of me and get me something. I know they didn't spend lots, but still, they went to Ross and found some nice things and put them in a gift bag just for me.

Here is the funny part. I got three journal-type books and two coffee mugs, which were almost identical. I know the journal books are handy, and my church buddies use them to take notes on in church or write down prayer requests and such. But I use sketch pads for my notes at church, because I sketch/doodle/zentangle throughout my notes and I do not have to have or like lines on my paper. Still, I do like the little books - you know I love paper! It's also funny that I got mugs. I guess people don't know that I have cabinets full of mugs and that I make them and sell them at Viridian. But that's okay too. The store-bought mugs are very nice - a good size and color. Maybe I'll try to use them as a pattern for my next handmade mugs.  Maybe I'll get a bunch of mugs made up for gifts to these sweet people on their birthdays.

Here are little watercolor cards I made for my gifts to the other birthday girls. Yep, I did give gifts.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Fun to have birthday additions. The mugs are nice but an interesting choice as you say. The cards you made are so beautiful. I have a couple of journal books that Gene’s mom had. Pretty but I probably won’t ever use them. I was given them because I do sketch in books. I’m smiling.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Jo. Today I made thank you notes for the presents I received. I haven't written the notes, but I'm quite proud that I got them made. Now I will procrastinate on writing.

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, we are sisters for sure....